Connecting DVD Player

We have a 5 year old Bush telly with a built in DVD player - which don't not work.

SWMBO has therefore purchased a cheap DVD player and my mission is to connect up the beast. Alas I am a complete numpty when it comes to this sort of thing - and there is no teenager available to help.

The player came with a lead, exhibit A

telly is connected to a Telewest box, back of telly here
back of Telewest box here
finally back of DVD player
red/yellow/white lead does nothing. I think I need a scart lead to connect the Telewest box to the DVD.

Is that it? Or is it even more horribly complex than I imagined?

SWMBO of course wanted to watch a DVD tonight and everything is my fault. It has to be working tomorrow!

Help!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

For now, take the scart lead out of the back of the telewest box and plug it into the DVD for a peaceful life from SWMBO.

Later, armed with another scart lead, investigate what the second scart port on the telewest box does. It might just work.

If not, then you need an external scart selector switch (and possibly a

3rd scart lead) to fit between the telewest box and your TV.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The DVD player appears to have several different output options:

  • composite video + stereo sound (as per the supplied lead)
  • component video
  • S-Video, and
  • Scart

In an ideal world, the TV would have a number of input options, and you'd connect the DVD player direct to the TV using one of them, and then select the appropiate input from the TV's menu.

However, your TV appears only to have one input - a Scart - and that's already being used by the Telewest box.

However, the Telewest box has a second Scart connector. There's a fighting chance that you can connect the DVD player to that - with a Scart cable - and tell the Telewest box to use its external Scart input, and transmit the signal to the TV. The TV itself would have to be set up in the same way as when it's normally receiving a signal from the Telewest box.

If that doesn't work, you can get multi-Scart adapters (one plug and two or more sockets - e.g.

. If you plug that into the tele, you can then plug two or more Scart-based devices (in your case, the Telewest box and the DVD player) into its sockets, and select which one you want to use - usually with a manual switch - although I believe some are auto-sensing, using some magic which I don't understand!.

Reply to
Roger Mills

This wizard should help.

Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

labled. I suspect it's for a recorder so you should be able to connect your DVD player to that via a SCART cable and kick the Telewest box into showing what the DVD player (aka the "recorder") is sending. The telly would be set to show the telewest box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The second SCART on the STB is likely for a VCR, so you should be able to use it with a DVD - provided the DVD is set to composite output.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 11 July, 20:07, "The Medway Handyman"

She doesn't get behind there with the Mr Sheen very often, does she ;-)

Owain

PS Good source for SCART switcher boxes and cables is Aldi, =A34.99 when they have them in. Identical ones in Tesco are at least a tenner and maybe =A315.

PPS found a good long SCART lead in the wheeliebin last week. One of the neighbours must have a new telly.

Reply to
Owain

Its labelled 'VCR' with a symbol like this 'o_o' after.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

SWMBO has many fine qualities - housework though isn't one of them :-)

Better than PC World et al though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I was just thinking how dust free it was compared to ours ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

And there was I, thinking that I had the only wife like that.

Reply to
the_constructor

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 19:07:56 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

Hopefully this has been sorted out with the SCART lead.

For completeness the red/yellow/white lead is to take composite video, left sound and right sound from the player to something which can accept these. The television does have these connections, they are built into the SCART specification and you can get leads with a SCART connector on one end and red, yellow and white phono plugs on the end to take these signals. There is no reason to do this unless pushed, SCART has a better method of sending video built into it too (though this is not always used by some bits of equipment).

Reply to
David Hansen

There should really be no difference - unless you can use RGB or S-Video via the SCART as the composite video and stereo audio on the SCART will be just the same as from the phono sockets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aha! This is good. The red & white sockets on the TV are currently connected to the surround sound thingy which I love & SWMBO hates. I forsaw that as being a problem.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No. It's clear from your photo of the back of the tele that these are

*outputs* - you can't connect anything to them to go *into* the tele!
Reply to
Roger Mills

Until you get the SCART cable, to save swapping between the Telewest box and the DVD player, you may have a set of phono sockets (That the pictured cable that came with the DVD player, would plug into) on the front or side of the TV that are inputs (they would usually have a picture of a box or circle with an arrow pointing into it, like the picture on the back of the TV near the output phono connectors your surround sound system, but as this is an output, the arrow is pointing out of the circle. Have you checked under any flaps the TV has!

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

. . . or looked in the Book of Words - since all else seems to have failed?!

Reply to
Roger Mills

So it is for a "recorder" then. Connecting the DVD player to that via a SCART cable should enable you to view it via the telewest box. May need some exploration of menus and pressing of TV/VCR buttons on the telewest and/or DVD remote control.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sorry, what I meant were that these were the output to the surround sound thingy. ISWYM though, we have further sockets at the front of the TV

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't understand the book of words :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman