Condensing Boiler Choice?

We are shortly due to start our "self-build" retirement chalet bungalow, with the paid help of a local builder. Agreed, I've chickened out of the "Electrics" and "Plumbing" - 'cos I ain't got all those new certificates wot eveyones on about.

Soon though we'll be needing to make a decision about what make of Boiler to install. We've been adviced, so far that a "megaflo"(?) system is what we're getting - I've done some basic calcs. and 100KBTU seems about right - but can anyone help with what make is any good and which ones to steer clear of.

Last boiler we bought was 20 years ago - and things have moved on, it appears.

Thanks for any advice. Aiden

Reply to
Aiden

There's two elements here, the water system and the boiler. The Megaflo is a nice mains pressure unvented hot water cylinder. Your other alternative is to go for a heatbank, which also provides mains pressure water at high flow rates, but uses a completely different method of operation to do so. The main advantage of them is that they are easier to install and don't become unsafe if the maintenance is neglected. Purchase cost is similar.

As to the boiler, just buy a well regarded 28kW modulating condensing boiler. There's no need to fuss around the exact size. If calculations show your house needs something bigger, then the house needs fixing with insulation, not the boiler.

Consider the Worcester Bosch Greenstar HE28, the Ideal Icos, Keston Celcius

25, Glowworm 30SXi etc.

Indeed, it's all kW now, not BTU!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Since you're be filing a building notice anyway, that doesn't matter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:47:57 -0000, "Christian McArdle" wrote: (snip)))

(snip)

OOOoops!

Thanks for that - will investigate your thoughts further.

Reply to
Aiden