Compact fluorescent lamps failing

Get an LCD screen. Thats about 17W IIRC against 100W+ for a CRT..and get a power saving PC and set it up for low power.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:45:26 +0000 someone who may be The Natural Philosopher wrote this:-

Ah, proof by assertion again.

Reply to
David Hansen

A 15" CRT is around 50-60W. A 21" one is around 105W. Scan rate makes about 10-15W difference, and image brightness about 5-10W difference.

Unless the CRT conforms to Tco'03 (sticker on the front usually), there can also be noticable standby consumption, which in some cases applies unless you unplug the mains. Monitors conforming to Tco'03 have so little standby consumption that you can ignore their standby load (the one's I've measured are all under 0.5W, which is the limit of my measuring ability).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Actually, that's what I thought, but I looked on a monitor to be sure. It was a dark corner and I obviously misread it! Thanks.

Indeed...that's my experience, although I have only the one CRT left, and that's rarely turned on (it's on a KVM in the main rack, rarely touched).

Reply to
Bob Eager

Funny how a minority becomes "a small (but loud) minority" or "many others" depending on whether they disagree or agree with you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:03:19 +0000 someone who may be %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote this:-

I note that, yet again, you were unable or unwilling to address the points which were raised.

Do keep this up.

Reply to
David Hansen

Back on your old familiar territory

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I note that, yet again, when someone points out that your style of argument is circular and hollow that you bleat and raise false claims about 'inability'. I choose to address the failings in your posts that I choose to address, and I will not overlook one of your stupidities simply because you desire me to tackle another.

I shall, because it obviously causes you embarrasment when you realise that your feet of clay are inundated.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was thinking more about the long term cost of dealing with those on the wrong side of the rich/poor divide, who will undoubtedly form the majority before long. A disproportionately expensive business in terms of security, social services etc

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On a global basis we already have that. Beyond a certain point, those with move their assets and ultimately themselves to places where they no longer consider that they are giving unreasonably to those without, be it via taxation or whatever means.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:03:52 +0000 someone who may be %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote this:-

Not something you did.

Yawn.

Mind reading again?

Do keep it up.

Reply to
David Hansen

Who will swing your hammock without poor people?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

or whose hammock will I swing?

Reply to
Andy Hall

No Mr Hansen, simple observation of your childish behaviour.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It wasn't meant that way but I can see how it could seem so!

I meant that the Chinese that I've worked with in Beijing have been real grafters.

Reply to
clot

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 20:03:42 +0000 someone who may be %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote this:-

I think my observation is nearer the mark.

I note the attempt to divert the discussion from the subject to discussion of me. This may fool some people, but it doesn't fool all.

You may have the last word.

Reply to
David Hansen

Well you would, wouldn't you?

It's not a discussion of you, it's an observation about your "style" of argument. You may care to reflect on your statement that a minority is "a small (but loud) minority" or "many others" depending on whether they disagree or agree with you. Since you fail to quantify either figure it's clear that all you are doing is appealing to emotion in either case while attempting to give the appearance of quantitative analysis.

Oh you've tried that one before as well. It's another of your failed tactics.

Reply to
Steve Firth