combi boilers

Hello,

When I recently moved house, I kept my old house and rented it out. It's my first experience as a landlord and things have not got off to a good start ;(

Just before we left, the Glowworm combi boiler (model compact 100e) packed-up and the cause was a bypass valve which had to be replaced by a plumber for many pounds.

Today I had a phone call saying that now the CH works but not the HW. I have phoned around a few plumbers from the Yellow pages and they all seem to loose interest the minute I say "combi". Why is that? What is so frightening about combi boilers?

A chap is going to visit this afternoon but he thinks it may be the diverter valve and says it costs £190 for the part, plus £60 call out plus £60 labour. Ouch!

I understand the boiler is discontinued. I don't know how old it is exactly but it was there when I moved in in 2001, so at least 7 years old. What is the life span of a boiler and since it seems to be falling to pieces, would it be cheaper to rip it out and fit a new one?

Whenever someone asks about gas, they seem to be politely reminded that if they don't know, they shouldn't touch. I quite agree but how can people learn if they don't ask questions? I have never worked on gas and I don't intend to but I would like to learn a bit more so that when the plumber says part x needs replacing for y pounds, it would be nice to know what x does and whether it really needs replacing and whether it really is worth y pounds. Where can I learn more?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply to
Fred

My impression is that combis are a landlord's nightmare. I'd get a new model fitted and have it covered by insurance. £200 quid out of your rental income every year but at least you don't have to get involved if it breaks down.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

proper training. which doesn't mean dismantle it yourself, poke about with a screwdriver, miss tightening a valve up and blwoing half the street up.

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply to
Mogga

1) The problem will require Glowworm specific parts, it's hard to get people to pay for you to go shopping on their behalf, the parts are likely to be expnsive. 2) Frankly there are a proportion of installers who diagnostic skills need upgrading.

Well yes that's is ONE possibility. The hot water flow detector is also a possibility. Cheaper boiler have expensive spares (see Boiler Choice FAQ).

Spares should be available for many years after a model is discontinued.

Low end combis maybe around 10 years, good ones 20+ years. See Boiler Choice FAQ.

I disagree they are usually told: You may if you are competent. But if you need to ask if you need to ask very basic stuff about gas fitting then you are probably not competent.

I quite agree but how can

By working under the supervision of a suitably qualified person, where they can ask all the questions they like.

I have never worked on gas and

The FAQs.

Working on the waterside of a boiler is, by the book "gas work" but many people here would say provide you don't need to dismantle gas carrying parts then it's not.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:29:06 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be Ed Sirett wrote this:-

Seconded. Some people do tend to stamp their foot if they are not given a free remedial course on the basics. The information they are after could nearly always be found with a search engine or in a book.

It is similar to someone going to a discussion group on William Shakespeare and asking what books he wrote. Anyone who asks such a question would almost certainly be pointed, gently or otherwise depending on circumstances, to a search engine or book to find out about the plays he is reputed to have written.

Putting my grumpy old man hat on, I blame the education system. It seems to be breeding more and more people incapable of, or too lazy to, find things out for themselves. They remind me of baby birds, sitting on their backsides, beaks open, squawking and expecting mummy or daddy bird to ram worms down their throat.

Reply to
David Hansen

Good combis are not. The Compact is a poor boiler. I think a re-badged saunier.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hello again,

I have now been told that it was the "wiring harness" that had to be replaced. Apparently the part only cost £30-odd but labour and VAT took it to £190!

What is a wiring harness and was the total cost about right?

I'm afraid that as much as I would love to work under the supervision of a qualified person, I don't have the time to do so, I am otherwise employed at the moment, so how can I find out the basics, just so I know what these names mean the next time the plumber calls? Don't worry, I haven't got gas at home and will not be driving two hours to my tenant's house to explode hers!

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

A wiring harness is simply all the wires necessary to make any piece of equipment work, bound together into a kind of cable but with the individual wires leaving where the 'harness' passes the appropriate component.

The most commonly known use is on a car, where the harness goes around the engine bay, joiing the various bits and pieces together as necessary.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Heh... That reminds me of the engineer that came out from Worcester Bosch to fix our boiler... CORGI registered of course, and presumably trained in the process, but that didn't stop him forgetting to close one of the the pressure test valves before he was about to leave. It was only when I said I could smell gas did he realise what he'd done - then he looked at me like I'd opened it when he was out of the room putting his tools away...!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They're certainly a mixed bunch those WB engineers. They have been known to take 2 hours to change a pump, and still manage to cross-thread the connections and destroy the washers.

OTOH I've now watched it done perfectly in 20 minutes (30 including the annual service!)

Reply to
Stuart Noble