Combi Boiler - Adding Digital (Programable) Room Stat

I have had to replace a digital roomstat. However, the wiring is not the same as the old one.

I have now got thoroughly confused about what I am trying to achieve!

Roomstat had L, N and 'Call'.

Boiler of course has L N, and also a connector for a room stat (space for 2 wires with a diagram indicating a switch). Doesnt help that the two wires there are both black!

To use an external controller, the boiler has to be swirched to 'constant' for heating.

I assumed that basically one side of the boiler connector would be live, which would power the controller, and the other side of the connector would get the output from the stat. So one side would be live, the other side 'may' be or not depending on the temp.

However, both sides are not live until the stat calls for heat and then both sides are. But, then the boiler doesn't fire...

Sorry it's such a long post!

David

Reply to
David P

Assume nothing.

The new programmable room stat will have terminals marked 'C', 'NO', 'NC'. Assuming it is the type with internal batteries:

Connect the old 'L' to 'C'. Connect the old 'Call' to 'NO'. Park the neutral somewhere. Do not connect it to the thermostat unless it has a dedicated terminal for the purpose of parking unused neutrals. DO NOT connect it to the 'NC' terminal.

If you've forgotten what the connections were, you almost certainly need to connect the two room stat terminals on the boiler directly to 'C' and 'NO' on the programmable thermostat.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle