Cleaning solutions

Apologies if this question is posted in the wrong NG!! What is the best way to get black shoe polish out of a brand new carpet?
Many thanks Many thanks
Paul the D
'You're a big man, but you're out of shape. With me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself.'
Paul the D wrote:

With another brand new carpet.
Some things to try.
First off, the old iron and paper towel trick,. This gets fats and waxes out (mostly).
Then try wax solvents. Start with simple things like washing up liquid to dissolve it. Then move on through solvents like white spirit, methanol/ethanol, lighter fluid, cleaning solvents like carbon tetrachloride (dry cleaining fluid) and then some of the xylene/acetone (cellulose thnners/nail varnish remover) type ones. Hopefully one will dissolve the waxy substrate enough to leave you with a slightly darker area full of solvent, that can be washed out with washing up liquid or carpet shampoo, and HOT water.
Dry off with old T-shirts etc or more kitchen towels.

Paul the D wrote:

I don't think you can remove it completely.
If the carpet is brand new, you will likely have some offcuts? Make a (square)template of scrap plywood or similar, about an inch bigger across than the stained area. Using a sharp carpet knife, and holding the template very firmly in place, cut out the stained area. Using the same template, cut out a matching piece from a suitably sized offcut, and use double-faced tape to hold it in place. The tape should not go under just the patch - half of it should be under the edges of the hole. Fluff up and blend the pile at the join.

How about some caustic soda?
Now where did I see that saucepan thread?

You obviously haven't seen the wonderful cleaning products demonstrated on QVC. Shoe polish is one thing they rub into the carpet before the clean it off with ease.
--
Alan

But it's probably their own brand of shoe polish 'not suitable for use in damp climates'.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

New carpet on the insurance?
Rob Graham

Now behave yourself.'
If the carpet is new (and probably hideously expensive) then don't do anything to it that might jeopardise an insurance claim - in fact it's probably worth talking to your contents insurers and asking for their advice.
We had a new carpet in a guest room, and a young guest borrowed an iron and burnt a neat shape in the carpet. At this point it was claimable on the insurance but he went on to try and cover it up by cutting another piece out from under the bed and fitting it into the iron shape. Now we have two holes and as a deliberate act no longer claimable ! Teenagers don't you love 'em !
Andrew Mawson
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:59:15 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson"

Little wonder that insurance premiums continue on a ballistic trajectory. In the good old days of low insurance premiums the insurers didn't have to cough up so much and if a little accident happened in the home it was a case of "hard luck son!".
PoP

Um, er. Isn't it a question of whether one has (a contract with one's insurer for) cover for accidental damage?
--
SAm.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:03:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson) wrote:

Sorry, I probably put my POV badly ;)
I was leaning towards the idea that in this day and age people seem to reach for the insurance company as the first point of call, and that tends to put prices up for everyone. We live in a bit of a blame culture society where the only winners are the lawyers.
PoP

You must have more luck than me. On the odd occasion where I think I should claim for something, I end up paying for it myself to stop them simply putting up the premium next time. Or they find a good reason - to them - why I'm not covered.
Still, someone has to pay for all those TV ads, so I suppose I get my premiums back in a different way.
--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:09:01 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

:)
PoP

some credit cards come with accident insurance for things you by using them.
My FIL and MIL got their new lounge carpet replaced in such a way when the neighbours dropped curry all over it.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:26:54 +0000, Paul the D

I believe that there is a Stain Devil product that will tackle shoe polish - small bottles of liquid in the supermarket - how effective I am not sure.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Done that too!
Used Vanish carpet cleaner. The spray foam.
Worked in with a sponge and warm water. Dried with kitchen towel ( folded and pressed down to soak up the water) and repeated until it was gone. Took a while. Don't rub, gentle work into the fibres.
Good Luck.

Many thanks for all your brilliant suggestions. Wish me luck!!