Cleaning/Flushing a pressurise ad sealed CH system

I guess that you mean vents??

The reason that I replaced my lockshield valves was because the system had previously been open vented and upon pressurisation there was seepage from some of the valves. They were poor quality anyway, so I decided to resolve by replacing them.

You could certain start this way. However, if the system is really full of crud then you run the risk of pushing some into the boiler. If that happens, you need to be very sure that it gets flushed through.
You could certainly start with one radiator and see how bad it is. If a lot of sludge comes through, then trying to clear them in situ is probably not going to be effective and you will spend a lot of time running round getting all the muck out.
I did about 15 radiators in a morning of removing, fliushing, swapping valve and replacing. If you organise the procedure it is quite quick.

If you put a double check valve on the hose connector at the tap, that can't happen. The filling point also ha one of these (or should do).
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:24:06 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:
[ .. ]

The Flow and Return pipes at the boiler both have isolating valves. Perhaps I could protect the boiler by closing both valves, then fully opening the by-pass valve - thus forming a closed circuit for the CH but isolating the boiler. Might that work?

In the end I think I probably shall do this. The 'thorougness' of the procedure appeals to me. Although I'm a little concerned about getting the upstairs rads down the narrow staircase to get to the garden to flush them out. Presumably it helps to have a helper for this.
Dougie
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:59:06 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:
[ .. ]

I tried one of those mastic gun cartridge affairs a few months ago. I bought it in B&Q and carefully read the instructions. I had high hopes for improving the health of my CH system but it all ended in tears and neither the CH system or I enjoyed the experience very much. Despite carefully following the instructions the inevitable result was a lot of swearing and sad little puddles of vulcan blood on the kitchen lino.
The thought of tipping a dose of cleaner or inhibitor at no pressure into the bathroom rail cap (what's it called?) sounds far less stressful all round.
Dougie