Chimney problems

Hi, I want to install a range cooker in the old chimney breast where there currently is a gas boiler and the original low (4ft high) lintel. I have got a 4 inch 1200mm concrete lintel which I need to install at about 6 ft high in the chimney breast. Having removed a few of the central bricks, it is clear that bricks towards the edges of the chimney opening are tied into the bricks forming the shape of the flue inside as the flue does not go straight up but to the side. I therefore cannot easily remove these side bricks to install the lintel very easily (without breaking half off) unlike the central bricks which come straight out. What's more I'm worried they are actually supporting the flue-shaping bricks themselves!

Is it safe to remove the brick-formed flue inside to install a extractor hood and if so how do I go about supporting the other bricks above. Is it OK to cut the front bricks to install the lintel?

Any advice gratefully received.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Put extra lintels in on each side, front to back, bearing on the lintel that you're putting in side-to-side. You'll need to extract a (part?) brick at the back on each side, obviously.

Reply to
Chris Bacon