Cheapest Freeview

Page 1 of 2
Wheres the cheapest place to get a freeview box for Xmas?!

Try Googling/asking it on uk.tech.digital-tv - this is the kind of question that they get asked all the time and are very helpful there.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:20:57 -0000, "David Hearn"

It gets asked in uk.tech.digital-tv almost everyday, expect to pay 60 quid for a new one
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=cheapest+freeview&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Duk.tech.digital-tv .*
Richer sounds are doing some cheap ones, including a reconditioned Grundig for 40 quid
compare the different models at the bottom of this page
http://www.consumerdeals.co.uk/freeview.html
Don't buy an old on/itv digital box as it will never get updated and no interactive
Regards
Chris
On 9 Dec 2003 04:46:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Quigs) wrote:

www.ebay.co.uk ?
Mind you,there is no gain becuase its all recycled shite from other channels.

That's Freeview all right
mike r

...just looking at the schedules for BBC4 and 6Music and that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

OTOH, you can't get widescreen on analogue. If you have a widescreen TV, you need a digital signal. Otherwise, you'll end up with bars down the side, or have to use that horrible distortion mode that makes it look like a fairground mirror.
Christian.

Radio 4
--
Graeme

Macro? 40 - 50 We got 1 last year and I thought it was quite good for the money nothing else to pay........... except for what SWMBO spends on QVC!
remember though that the cheaper ones will generally not have the interactive capability.
Wdyw said

Agreed - or a timer or 2 SCARTs or RF pass-through or an RF modulator...
--
Neopets - The Best Free Game Site On The Net
http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=carolla
On 9 Dec 2003 04:46:53 -0800, Quigs wrote:

Try a dabs value = 58.99 inc VAT at
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/homeentertainment/freeview/productView.htm?quicklinx=2N9B
Currys were doing them for about 40....

Try a bit of latral thinking...
Get the free-installation deal from SKY and get a fill dish and decent satellite box for 1.00 installation. You only have to pay for 1 month at 39.00 - ish and then downgrade your package to 12.99 or less for the other 11. After 1 year, it's all yours. Get a freeview card for it from the BBC and its cost you not very much.
--
Howard Coakley
e-mail... howard<dot}coakleyatcoakley<dot].codotuk
|Try a bit of _lateral_ thinking...
and
|and get a _free_ dish ...

Firstly the BBC don't do the free-to-view (not Freeview) cards any more since they moved their channels off the encrypted satellite. You can still get them from Sky or somewhere else - not sure - I think its 15.
Costs of getting a free dish and satellite box:
1 - installation 39.99 - first month 12.99 x 11 = 142.89 rest of year 15 - Free-to-view card used at end of year
Total = 198.88
Or Freeview:
40 - 80 depending on what options you want.
Okay, you get a year's subscription to Sky in the top one, but surely, if someone wanted Sky, they'd get Sky, not Freeview!
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:53:47 -0000, "David Hearn"
|Firstly the BBC don't do the free-to-view (not Freeview) cards any more |since they moved their channels off the encrypted satellite. You can still |get them from Sky or somewhere else - not sure - I think its 15. | |Costs of getting a free dish and satellite box: | |1 - installation |39.99 - first month |12.99 x 11 = 142.89 rest of year |15 - Free-to-view card used at end of year | |Total = 198.88
| |Or Freeview: | |40 - 80 depending on what options you want. | |Okay, you get a year's subscription to Sky in the top one, but surely, if |someone wanted Sky, they'd get Sky, not Freeview! | |D
My freeview card was free, so that makes your total guess 183.88
You must remember that I was only giving another possible option! What any individual might be prepared to pay for different possibilities of completing a task will be different. In this case, it _might_ be worth an extra 110 quid-ish to get a higher quality picture, more (crap) channels, full digital options and a subscription to even _more_ (crap) channels for a full 12 months.

I saw a freeview video recorder the other day. You could use that as your set top box, and it also has the advantage of being programmable from the EPG.
I don't know which channels support it, but I dimly remember it only starts recording when the program starts (taking it's cue from the info for the banner at the bottom).
Bob

starts
Freeview video recorder - as in video tapes? I've been looking for these sorts of things for a while - but all the peeps on uk.tech.digital-tv point out that a manufacturer producing a unit to record a digital channel onto an analogue tape is unlikely to happen (poor quality etc) - whereas you're more likely to see ones that use an internal hard drive to store it in high quality, or DVD writers with Freeview.