Charging socket polarity

I bought a couple of wind-up dynamo LED lanterns in anticipation of the winter power cuts. They have a 6volt charging socket but there is no indication of the polarity on the case next to the socket and no instructions as to polarity. My understanding is that the usual convention is that the central pin is positive and the outer sleeve is negative on the charging plug. Is this likely to be correct?

An adaptor was not included but I have got a regulated DC adaptor that can be set from 1.5 to 12volts with either a positive or negative tip.

Reply to
DIY

DIY explained :

There is no convention, but more often than not tip is positive.

The only way to be certain is to disassemble and check. If the battery is connected directly across the socket it might be possible to plug a plug into it and check its polarity with a meter, but likely there will be a diode in series to prevent wrong polarity, especially so if it is unmarked.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

+ve centre is most common, but not universal. You might find that you can measure a polarity on the socket with a test meter, but it might not handle being shorted out without damage.

Another issue is if the socket is meant for a power supply or a charger, and this will depend if the unit contains its own charging circuit.

Without any details being provided, you are probably going to have to open it up to be sure what's inside, and if it needs a charger, what type and capacity battery it has.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Especially on something expensive like a Sony Walkman Pro? But there isn't. Big repair bill if you get it wrong :-(

Reply to
Laurence Payne

I think thats the only way forward really, to open it and find out whats there. Good chance of killing it otherwise.

NT

Reply to
NT

They're punishing you for not using their PS, etc. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Place a test meter on the socket. The battery is connected to the socket, so a test meter will show you which way round it is connected to the socket.

Like this <

BigWallop

Thanks for that tip, I tried it and the meter showed that the tip/centre pin is positive.

Reply to
DIY

If the battery connects straight to the socket you'll need a suitable charger, not a gen purp wallwart.

NT

Reply to
NT

"NT" wrote: If the battery connects straight to the socket you'll need a suitable charger, not a gen purp wallwart.

As stated in my original post I have got a regulated DC adaptor that can be set from 1.5 to 12volts with either a positive or negative tip, and which I have since used to charge both lanterns at 6volts. What is a wallwart?

Reply to
DIY

What you're describing, if it looks like a pregnant 13-amp plug :-)

If there's no charging control circuitry in the appliance you'll just have to make sure you don't leave it connected too long. A proper charging system would be kinder to the batteries. But I wouldn't worry too much. It's only a gadget, not the backup power supply to a life-support system.

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Thats one way to knacker it.

NT

Reply to
NT

I guess it didn't have Lithium batteries (wrong voltage anyway), or he'd be describing the resulting indoor firework display ;-)

(Having just knocked up something on the workbench to charge up my Nokia phone's Lithium battery as the phone no longer can, that's fresh on my mind. Fortunately, it worked very well.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel