Charging Shelf

Much better:

JoeJoe

How is that better? The OP has requirement to be able to plug things into charge that don't charge via USB

Reply to
Chris French

The ergonomics seem quite reasonable. My comments were aimed at others just as much as to you (I hadn't realised you'd already invested in the switched socket extension lead).

My point being that the tiny savings to be made, particularly if it involves bending down to unplug or switch off unused chargers, just aren't worth the effort required to switch them off unless it's for a charger that only gets used once or twice a month.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Sorry, but that's no use whatsoever for all the things which don't have USB-based chargers - including toothbrushes, window vac, some radios, some (older) phones, digital cameras, etc. etc.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On the topic of things like cameras - the three chargers for our cameras here all use a figure 8 mains lead. I have one lead plugged into the powerstrip and just swap over the chargers (which live in a small plastic box on the shelf.

Reply to
Chris French

I have a 6 port USB charger for this purpose -

Brilliant gadget, it can trickle charge or shove 4A, adapting to each connected device.

It's in the utility room, under a chopping-board sized shelf covered with felt fabric. There's always a clutter of phones, tablets, sat-navs and mp3 players charging, as people come and go.

What I *wanted* to do was put a false bottom in a nice old wooden box, and hide the charger underneath. Then line the box with felt to make a discreet charging station. The family demanded an open shelf - they wanted to be able to see their charge level, and to see if they had any new messages. To be separated from facebook for 10 minutes is apparently just too painful...!

Reply to
Zapp_Brannigan