Changing a room thermostat

Hi,

My old Honeywell room thermostat needs changing. I bought a Horstmann HRT2. The old wiring was twin and earth style with the earth cut off (not used) and just the live and neutral cables being wired in. The instructions for the new thermostat indicates that 3 wires are needed: L - Common supply, Load - Call for Heat, N - Neutral. Can I use the existing wiring and just omit one of the connections ? If so, which one ?

Cheers....

Reply to
Ali

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:33:32 +0000, Ali strung together this:

The old wiring is live and call, not live and neutral.

Connect up the live to the common suppy and the call to call. You can omit the neutral connection, it helps to keep the temperature more regulated, basically.

I would recommend you use a programmable room stat as these are more accurate and will work with only the two wires that you have.

Reply to
Lurch

The thermostat you have chosen is an old mechanical bimetallic type, whilst your system is wired for a modern type. Although you can get it to work by omitting the neutral, it will operate very poorly. Send it back and buy a 2 wire electronic type, preferably programmable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle