Cavity wall Insulation, what to look for.

I am having free cavity wall insulation done tomorrow, any pointers on what to look out for by way of them taking shortcuts/skimping on the job, doing it properly. Apart from excessive tea breaks that is.

Reply to
ss

Ours drilled into the mortar from outside and did a fairly god job of matching up. There was a lot of dust outside and we had told the neighbours in advance.

The guys who did ours appeared good although there was a delay after 2 gun failures while they went for another one. They appeared to have cleaned window sills etc but it turned out they had only done the downstairs ones.

We had blown wool which can look like dry rot in poor light in a corner. Don't panic!

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

Having installed it myself for many years, I can tell you that the quality of the work is directly linked to the amount of tea you make, so it's not less tea breaks you want, it's more.

seriously.

Reply to
Phil L

My parents had it done a few months ago. I have to say, they seemed to do a really good job. They drilled the mortar at a corner between 3 bricks, and matched the mortar colour perfectly - you can't see it unless you know it was done. Another section of the house has a rough white render, and again, they matched the colour and texture when filling the holes, and it doesn't show.

Afterwards, they checked all the air bricks, and 3 of them had got the wool behind. They removed them, fitted something to stop any more dropping down, and fitted new airbricks, exactly matching the original 55 year old ones.

It took 3 guys probably just over half a day.

All for free. Well you all paid for it with your gas and electricity bills...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Rather pay for that than other peoples' PV panels!

When I was cutting holes in the walls which had been filled with blown fluff

20 years ago, I was pleased to see they were still evenly filled.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Well by all accounts they appear to have done a reasonable job, as far as I can make out. stpled notices in the loft about what they had used etc and also a warning sign about falling through ceiling as insulation may not be supported by flooring (or similar words). The plug holes are well matched and they cleaned up afterwards.

Reply to
ss

And yet, people slag off 'arry.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

electricity

'Arry makes no bones about the generous cash *profit* he is making from a considerable, up front, capital investment, ie he had a fair wodge of spare cash.

You can't get free cavity wall insulation unless you qualify by being of a certain age or getting certain benefits ie you *don't* have a fair wodge of spare cash.

Also the savings are only going to be a hundred or so pounds/year not a thousand or so investment return.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Doesn't matter; the principle and end result is the same - money in the recipient's pocket. Public money (rather, money from other customers).

Let the buggers freeze.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Think about it, the more insulation the less need for windmills.

Reply to
dennis

At least it does save fuel. Which is more than PV does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is zero need for windmills to start with, so that one cant fly :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher