Cavity wall Insulation - opinions ???

Been looking at getting cavity wall insulation and replacing the ol

loft insulation. Just received a flyer from local authority stating that grants ar available through some energy council, what do you all think ??? Do we wait for special deal from Electric or Gas Board ??

House is 1960 detatched property.

Will the benefits be noticable.

Regards

Mar

-- mark harrison

Reply to
mark harrison

|=20 | Been looking at getting cavity wall insulation=20

Do it! even without a deal. The benefits will be definitely noticeable.

| and replacing the old | loft insulation.=20

Loft insulation has a very long life. Just put more on top of the existing stuff. Mine started at one inch which is still there and is now eight inches or more.

--=20 Dave Fawthrop

17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg!
Yorkshire Dialect go to
Dave Fawthrop

Your council may have grants, and energy suppliers may also do it. In Guildford they have a "Guildford Housewarmers" scheme, with is a re-badged 3rd party organisation. They took our details and forwarded onto Lion Insulation who arranged a survey and quote. Came in at, I think £340 for a 1930's 3 bed semi (cavity insulation only). They had details of all the grants available and went with Snug As A Bug (which I believe is a British Gas scheme). Grant reduced the price we had to pay to just £110 (and they process the grant payment - so nothing we had to do). We're with Powergen - so no requirement to actually use British Gas, or whoever supplies the grant.

If you're on benefits, it'll probably be free.

As for loft insulation, grants to top up the insulation aren't very good

- it's actually cheaper to rip out the old stuff yourself before the survey and get it done from scratch! This was confirmed by the guy doing our survey.

Since having it done, it's noticably more comfortable. Not necessarily warmer - but certainly gets up to temperature in the mornings much much faster. I'd recommend having it done.

David Hearn