Cavity wall insulation - and now the roof . ..

Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the wall insulation done. Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists) with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof purlins under the tiles ? The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof space I don't know ! I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open. What do you think ?

Reply to
Stephen

I had a similar thing, I put 250mm more in, going accross the joists.

I simply dressed up, covering every tiny bit of skin and crawled in. I used a couple of boards to make sure I did not go through the ceilings.

If you insulate between the rafters, you will still have an air gap where the eves are open.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

| On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:14:11 +0000, Stephen | wrote: | | >Many thanks for all of the replies - now off to sort out getting the | >wall insulation done. | >Whilst I'm on the subject it would seem a good time to take a look at | >the roof too. At the moment it is lagged (between the ceiling joists) | >with 100mm fibreglass stuff. It seems that todays fashion would indicate | >more depth. Or would I be better to add insulation between the roof | >purlins under the tiles ? | >The roof is a 1980s W wooden frame holding up tiles, with felting | >underneath. How I'm going to crawl into the farthest reaches of the roof | >space I don't know ! | >I presume I should leave the small gaps under the eaves open. | >What do you think ? | | I had a similar thing, I put 250mm more in, going accross the joists. | | I simply dressed up, covering every tiny bit of skin and crawled in. I | used a couple of boards to make sure I did not go through the | ceilings. | | If you insulate between the rafters, you will still have an air gap | where the eves are open.

Eaves should always be open to ventilate the roof space.

I used a long stick/broom to push the insulation to the end of the joists. I saw some insulation in B&Q which was covered with polythene, which might get over the itching problem, not sure about costs.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Its not much better, and lots more cash. The cheepest is normally wickes, but they will run out this wekend - so go early.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , Rick writes

That depends. I'm really sensitive to the fibres in glassfibre and Rockwool insulation. I installed some as extra insulation in my old house and for me it was much more pleasant to handle. I also found it a fair bit easier to install over the old insulation, presumably because the plastic /foil slips easier over the old stuff.

Reply to
chris French

I'm tempted to try celotex/kingspan from secondsandco as it's thinner for a given performance, and I haven't much room, as it's a low pitched roof. I couldn't do it with GF or RW cos of the irritation, and I want to use the minimum thickness below the boarding in the loft. I currently have 50mm fibreglass between nominal 100mm (90 actual) joists.

Reply to
<me9