Cat pees in electrical outlet

Yes - the only mistake by the OP is that he should have said

"If we assume cats pee is the same concentration of salt as seawater, then its *resistivity* is 0.2 ohms per metre...."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What happens is very simple.

A cat pees in or around a socket over a period of time. A you say cat pee is conductive, but as it dries out, it becomes all the more so.

All that is then needed is for a short path to be sufficiently conductive to heat and slightly char the plastic surround and then you do have the potential for a more serious conductive path.

Reply to
Fredxxx

ONLY mistake my arse.

Mistake number one (as you say) was the first line of his post.

"If we assume cats pee is the same concentration of salt as seawater, then its resistance is 0.2 ohms per metre."

His first mistake was quickly followed by his second mistake ie the second line in his post - that included his calculation that 1cm of cat piss has a resistance of 0.002 ohms.

"If we assume cats pee is the same concentration of salt as seawater, then its resistance is 0.2 ohms per metre."

The third mistake was rather unsurprisingly in the third line of his post - the one where he assumed that a 110V socket outlet with a 0.002 ohm short across it would cause a 55kA current

"At 110 volts, that would cause a current of 55000 amps."

Reply to
ARW

Rather unsurprisingly it is 200 ohms:-)

Assuming you mean a cubic cm.

Reply to
ARW

Then where the f*ck did the guy in the forum get 0.2 ohms across a whole metre?

Using your figure, assuming you're talking about sea water concentrations of salt, which I'm assuming urine is similar to - a website I read said urine has "a salty taste"(!!), so I'm thinking the same flavour as the sea, we'd get a current of about half an amp, which means the socket should not have caught fire.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Then make corrections to all three.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Ah, I guess drying out pee will get VERY salty. Stupid animal.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Don't you need integrals and shit to work out 3D resistances? It was a long time ago I did O level.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

ITYM a cm cube.

Reply to
dennis

Those mean precisely the same thing for the value of 1. For the value of 2, a 2cm cube would be 8 cubic cm.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Idiot!

Reply to
dennis

I mean something that is 10mm x 10mm x 10mm :-)

Any arguments on the 200 ohm?

Reply to
ARW

Do explain your odd idea of mathematics.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

There is nothing else either of thpose statements could mean. Dennis must be on magic mushrooms.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

5 x 5 x 40 is a cubic cm as is 1 x 1 x 100, they have different resistances.
Reply to
dennis

Anyone spot the deliberate error yet?

Reply to
dennis

But 1x1x1 is the default given the context.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I knew what you meant. I guess you snapped the long one.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Fuck off. Do it yourself:-)

Reply to