campingaz pipes

Wife has had to dash out and buy a double burner and grill camping stove for next weekend. It is made by the same company that our original one was made by. Campingaz.

Our original one is in the loft somewhere, but I canabalised the rubber pipe so that I could use it on my blow torch and I didn't feel I had the time to prove that it was still gas tight. Original had a taper thread for the hob and another screwed connector for the gas bottle regulator.

To my amazement, I found that the new hob is connected with a flex pipe and jubilee clips. When did this backward step take place?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well your wifes new purchase sounds the same as our twin burner & grill that we bought probably not long after moving up here 11 years ago. That has a flexable rubber gas pipe fixed by jubilee clips. I don't see it as a problem, one would never leave it attached to, and turned on at, the cylinder for extended periods of time.

There is an elbow on the end of the fixed pipe on the cooker that points the inlet down. When the stove is folded up it means the hose has quite a tight bend in it against the surface the stove is stored on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't see it as a problem from my experience in joining and leak testing this sort of connection, but my thoughts went to those who don't have experience with jubilee clips and how easy it is for them to leak. Another aspect was how hard it was to get the pipe over the ribbed connections. How many would know the trick of a cup of boiling water and a bit of washing up liquid, to relax the pipe and lubricate it? My first attempt at getting the pipe to go far enough onto the metal pipe on the stove, left it only 2 ribs on. A quick tweek of the pipe and there could have been a very good flame from it.

This one has the hose pointed to the back and when it is connected, you can't get the stove back in the box :-( A screw on connector would have been far better for storage.

I'll have to get the old one out of the loft and see how things were made in the early seventies, or would that be the late 60's before we were married and took 2 weeks exploring from Brixham to Bournemouth and then to Great Yarmouth.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I put a bayonet connector in my hose (ie one male, one female; from

which means I can easily disconnect the regulator. Furthermore, I have a similar arrangement on the gas barbecue, which came with a Calor gas regulator. That also means I can use Calor gas with the cooker (or rather, she can) which is way cheaper than Camping Gaz, and can keep the smaller Camping Gaz tank mainly as a reserve (ie both for the barbie and the camping cooker). However when camping abroad it's still good to have the Gaz cylinder, as you can exchange that overseas whereas you can't with the Calor gas one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

That sounds very interesting, but can you be a bit more specific about the item you are talking about please? I have seen a couple of things that might work, but...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Took some finding! but it's item 17002 here:

Lobster

it uses a retractable collar. Sorry!)

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, but it is what I am after. Many thanks for looking it up and posting. I'll take a look when she gets back on Monday and sort something out.

Thanks again,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You got a jubilee clip? The hose on ours just pushes on, just like the bunsen burners were connected to the gas taps at school.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q