bypass valve to swich off boiler?

That's simply poor design. Claiming that microbore is superior because an idiot can't install it inappropiately is a strange way to justify it....mind you..in your case...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well, we surmised it might be scale, because: no evidence of sludging, and only affected a couple of rads, then predominantly one rad, and eventually shutting off ALL rads bar that one seemed to shift whatever it was.

It's suspected that a bit of scale broke off from within the boiler (it was rather prone to kettling for a while) which is what then lodged somewhere in the system. Can easily see how a flake of scale would end up attempting to fit down a microbore pipe having come out the boiler on rather thicker piping, and plug it enough to prevent flow to a rad or two, depending on where it ended up.

There were no indications of anything else going on, no leaking overflows, no hot feed tanks, rads were (when they actually all heated up) hot at top and bottom, no sign of sludge coming out when system drained and flushed, etc.

I still can't see a lump of scale managing to block the bigger bore pipework (that's effectively about what goes in/out of the boiler) like it could block microbore.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

Something you get in Ann Summers shop's

Reply to
IMM

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

Reply to
IMM

:-) How long does that generally take to start showing up?

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet

That level of scale/sludge would block up a small bore or microbore system. As Andy has pointed out, micro has nothing whatsoever to do with the blockage, and condemning a system fitted by the millions, because of one poorly designed/installation/maintenance is quite foolish.

Reply to
IMM

That's why IMM has a microbore sewage system. In pipe diameter, size doesn't matter, and he is in a permanent state of verbal diarrhoea, he flushes out his sludge frequently.

Gawd. Anyone who can't see that a small bore system isn't more prone to blockage needs his arteries examining..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

depending on use, water, maintenance, etc, anything from 10-28 years.

Reply to
IMM

Its useless to argue with IMM. Unless you are prepared to print a glossy brochure and send it to him with a manufacturers name on it, he won't believe anything you say no matter how reasonable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah, like the one you used to justify using microbore to replace a poorly designed small bore system.

Humpty Dumpty your middle name perchance?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

Reply to
IMM

What glossy brochure promote microbore?

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

Reply to
IMM

Have you been on the ale?

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

Reply to
IMM

What a relief. Instred of IMM's veiled allusions a complete rational description.

To which my comment is 'true, but probably irrelevant'

UF heating is done this way anyway mostly - well mine is, and yes, it is amenable to all that stuff, but it gets a bit irritating to implement.

The one thing I did enjoy tho, was being able to balance all the zones

*at the manifold* using the tiddly little flow meters on each branch.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why do you recommend it then?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Alas you used Polyplumb, not recommended by Gledhill. The only plastic pipe maker I know that holds this distinction by any other maker.

Reply to
IMM

, and condemning a system fitted by the millions, because of one

So of copurse condemiong all small bores systems because of one poorly designed/installation/maintenance (example) is of course completely correct.

Like hot air flowing downstairs?

You don't know what you are talikng about do you?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How would I know? I don't read glossy brochures much.

Yah, well no, fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Date: 12 August 2003 Subject: Re: Electric underfloor heating

(IMM writes) Christian,

Go to the Polyplumb web site.

They have a an "overlay floor heating system". It is insulation layed over an existing floor with dedicated grooves for the piping. Quite thin too. You can download the info or send for it.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

NO, it is foolish.