bypass valve to swich off boiler?

Page 3 of 6  
IMM wrote:

Velvet
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

depending on use, water, maintenance, etc, anything from 10-28 years.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Andy Hall wrote:

Well, we surmised it might be scale, because: no evidence of sludging, and only affected a couple of rads, then predominantly one rad, and eventually shutting off ALL rads bar that one seemed to shift whatever it was.
It's suspected that a bit of scale broke off from within the boiler (it was rather prone to kettling for a while) which is what then lodged somewhere in the system. Can easily see how a flake of scale would end up attempting to fit down a microbore pipe having come out the boiler on rather thicker piping, and plug it enough to prevent flow to a rad or two, depending on where it ended up.
There were no indications of anything else going on, no leaking overflows, no hot feed tanks, rads were (when they actually all heated up) hot at top and bottom, no sign of sludge coming out when system drained and flushed, etc.
I still can't see a lump of scale managing to block the bigger bore pipework (that's effectively about what goes in/out of the boiler) like it could block microbore.
Velvet
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

That level of scale/sludge would block up a small bore or microbore system. As Andy has pointed out, micro has nothing whatsoever to do with the blockage, and condemning a system fitted by the millions, because of one poorly designed/installation/maintenance is quite foolish.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
IMM wrote:
, and condemning a system fitted by the millions, because of one

So of copurse condemiong all small bores systems because of one poorly designed/installation/maintenance (example) is of course completely correct.
Like hot air flowing downstairs?
You don't know what you are talikng about do you?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

NO, it is foolish.
You don't know what you are talikng about do you?
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Velvet wrote:

Its useless to argue with IMM. Unless you are prepared to print a glossy brochure and send it to him with a manufacturers name on it, he won't believe anything you say no matter how reasonable.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What glossy brochure promote microbore?
You haven't a clue what you are on about.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
IMM wrote:

How would I know? I don't read glossy brochures much.

Yah, well no, fine.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So you have been on meths.
You haven't a clue what you are on about.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
IMM wrote:

That's why IMM has a microbore sewage system. In pipe diameter, size doesn't matter, and he is in a permanent state of verbal diarrhoea, he flushes out his sludge frequently.
Gawd. Anyone who can't see that a small bore system isn't more prone to blockage needs his arteries examining..
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Have you been on the ale?
You haven't a clue what you are on about.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I can only comment that I have been using an 8mm system, in a hard water area, unsealed for 16 years and sealed for two and there has not been a sludging probleml, in fact very little deposit at all apart from a small amount of copper swarf from the original installation when I flushed it under pressure a year ago.
I've always maintained inhibitor in the system and tested it annually according to the maker's recommendations, typically adding more every third year.
If you want to do something specifically *not* to use inhibitor then fine, but your costs in radiator replacement after corrosion will far outweigh anything else.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
IMM wrote:

It hasn't been claimed to be there either by you, or by someone trying to sell you something, so yes, on balance I can't see why anyone else would bother to lie about it.

What's 'mocrobore'?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Something you get in Ann Summers shop's
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's because there isn't a requirement.
The more likely scenario, if there has been a problem in a microbore system is because it was not dosed with inhibitor. There should be no need for repeated flushing.

It isn't.

.. and looked after properly as any heating system should be. The only thing that one can say is that a 15mm system may run for longer with sludge than a microbore system, but there is no reason why sludging should happen in the first place.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I don't buy that. First of all the circulating water is very rarely changed and there is only a limited amount of calcium and magnesium compounds in the water to be deposited. Secondly, I've had an 8mm system for 18 years and ther ehave been no problems other than the original installer having used it for a couple of radiators where the required flow rate would normally require 15mm pipe. Thirdly, the more important issue is whether inhibitor has been used and maintained properly. There is less tolerance to blockage by sludge for obvious reasons.

There isn't any fundamental difference in the correct design of a microbore system vs. anything else. Tube is tube. If the design is done as it should be around maximum flow rates, I see no reason why a microbore system would heat more quickly since the rate of transfer of heat is not going to be greater. I suppose one could say that one is more likely to use a larger number of smaller radiators and that therefore the heat is being delivered into the house across a larger number of emitters, but that is it.....

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I suspect he is referring to the lower water content, hence the lower heat capacity of the system components that may lead to radiator surface temperatures rising more quickly. Much like using 15mm pipe instead of 22mm pipe in your hot water piping gets hot water to the tap quicker.
Christian.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Good analogy.
--
--

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
Version: 6.0.538 / Virus Database: 333 - Release Date: 10/11/2003
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:23:19 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Possibly, but if you do the sums needed to size for whether additional pressure vessel is needed, the water content in the pipes is small compared with that of the radiators.
If you size pipes according to the CDA recommendations it is based around a max flow rate in metres per second, and the rate of heat delivery should not be any different. If you think about it, you want the temperature drops to be the same either way.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.