bypass valve to swich off boiler?

Page 2 of 6
IMM wrote:

Opinions differ markedly there.

But not IMM.
Microbore needs a lot of pressure to get decent flow rates. Its not as cut and dried as he likes to make out.

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

rad,
all.
just
You haven't a clue what you are on about.

The beauty of microbore is that the pipe can be fed behind skirting boards. And to dent any microboare pipe a vacuum cleaner would have had to be rammed into it extremely hard indeed. That sort of force would dent 15mm too.

IMM wrote:

Not in this (nor the neighbours places) it wasn't. Straight up through the floorboards, about half an inch from the skirting. Can't comment on the force used to dent it like this, wasn't me ;-)
Velvet

pipes
You
boards.
rammed
Poor installation.

IMM wrote:

Bit of a damage-prone way to find out, isn't it? ;-)

Um, how, exactly, when the pipe runs under floorboards (upstairs floor)?

No, I mean that if I have a system that I have seen working for donkeys years, why should I have something that may or may not, regardless of the competancy of the engineers who design and install it, work... far easier to go with something I have had experience of working without hitches ;)
Velvet

the
and
There is no may or may nots about it!!! If the engineers are competent it will work far more efficiently that 15mm/22mm small bore. Millions have been installed all over the country with no problems whatsoever. It appears you view the world only by personal experience. In this one. Do you believe there is an Antarctic?

IMM wrote:

Yup - but even if I didn't, I'm not going to be financially worse off whether I believe it exists or not :-)
Velvet

it
appears
Why? you have never been so it must not be there or people are telling you lies.

You would not be financially worse off installing a mocrobore system.

IMM wrote:

no - *you* say I wouldn't be financially worse of installing a microbore system, I'm still not convinced this would be the case. No, it shouldn't sludge up, but if it DOES, then it's a lot more hassle then mini?bore (those 15/18mm pipes) - far easier to block microbore unintentionally than the larger stuff.
Velvet

and
correctly
have
you
Sludge is sludge. It will block all pipes so must be removed from all of them.

IMM wrote:

I don't dispute this. I'm talking not about just sludge here but lumps of scale. It was this which did for the other half's microbore, not sludge. Sludge not in evidence in the system at all. My point stands, microbore is, in my experience of it, more sensitive to things that may block it, than bigger pipes.
Velvet

of
You appear to think that scaling up or heavy sludging is a common thing. It is not. If this microbore system scaled/sludged up, then an investigation must be done to ascertain why and rectify the problem. You appear to want to have a system that is inefficient but works somehow. Like driving a car that is totally out of tune, drinking fuel like crazy and continuing to drive it. It works in that it moves I suppose, but will eventually break down completely at great cost in repair and running it while malfunctioning.

Think of it as a car with self sealing tyres. OK, you don't particularly want to drive around with half flat tyres, but you might appreciate their design when you have a blow out. You still get them replaced ASAP.
Christian.

Not a good analogy, and a poor excuse to justify poor design/installation and maintenance.

IMM wrote:

Ah, like the one you used to justify using microbore to replace a poorly designed small bore system.
Humpty Dumpty your middle name perchance?

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

IMM wrote:

Possibly I do think it is a bigger problem than it is. I'm still forming my opinions on it all. I'm not going to continue posting in this thread, when I clearly stated my experiences and opinions on it way way back. We're just going over tired old ground now.
I want a system that works well. As I've said before, I'll base my opinions on my experiences. I know full well just how much misinformation there is out there, which is why I'm not prepared to take IMM's POV that microbore's the best thing since sliced bread and it'll not cause me grief and expense in years down the line. If I talk to people who have such systems and hear their experiences with it first hand, and they're all wonderful glowing reports, then I'll probably adjust my opinions of it to fit that.
Now you understand where I'm coming from, hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one and move on. At this point in time I know what I would install in my house, and I've stated this. Whether this is right or wrong is beside the point, it's what I'll do.
Velvet

Then it must have had problems with pumping over and overflowing or a leak between the primary and secondary, because the amount of scale producing compounds in what should be a fixed amount of water is minute. Once it is deposited that is it and I doubt whether there would even be enough to be visible.
If the system scaled up to the extent you described, it would be in trouble with corrosion as well because of the constant change of water, addition of oxygen etc.
It really has nothing to do with microbore. There should be no blocking in the first place and there would be obvious other evidence of problems such as leaking overflows, a hot feed tank, etc.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote:> >I don't dispute this. I'm talking not about just sludge here but lumps

The rads will all probably pop within a few months/years of each other.