bulb fittings ES or BC

Polarity doesn't matter on BC lamp holders, so it doesn't matter which way the flex is connected, but on ES, if the flex is connected wrongly, the outer portion becomes the Line, not the centre.

Reply to
stvlcnc43

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com escribió:

Plenty of alternatives if you can be arsed to look. No, I'm not doing your homework for you.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

While I recognise RFCs have some benefits compared with radials, whenever this topic comes up I am reminded of 2 things:

a. the old adage that immitation is the sincerest form of flattery; and

b. an old Punch cartoon in which parents are watching a march past, with the mother commenting something like "Look, our Johnny's the only one in step!'

Reply to
Robin

Because it's important when you add a socket.

Yes, but if it does the sockets beyond the break stop working. A break in a ring is 'symptomless' until something overheats.

Reply to
cl

I have used only ES bulbs for the past 30 years.

Reply to
DJC

I have always thought it strange that whereas sockets have loads of safety features like shutters etc, and jug kettles have clever connections that cannot be touched, the bulbs of the normal types still use es and bc which once the bulb is removed is open to have fingers poked into them.

Any ideas why? Some of the alternatives seem very weak mechanically and there are so many any chance of a standard looks unlikely. In this health and safety ridden world this is one of the only ways one can do ones self significant damage using electricity. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Damn. And I was hoping you could order some supplies for us.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

And I'm reminded of the classic collection of false arguments.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

or work but unsafely. Or catch fire.

Cable run above its rated ampacity has reduced life and slight risk of fire, far less of a problem than a bad connection in a radial. In practice they usually run indefinitely without any problem.

This ain't news

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

But it may well not be obvious if the ECC in a radial breaks. At least with a ring if that happens, you have the 'other side'.

I've really not ever understood all the 'what ifs' people come up with about rings. They have stood the test of time well - and indeed are probably more suitable for today's use than when devised. Also the electrical fire etc record of this country is pretty good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Then get a pro in if you don't know what you're doing.

A total break in a circuit would be unusual. The cable would likely need to be chopped in two. One broken conductor is far more likely - and on a radial could prove fatal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is better value and less fugly - just a simple swap:

PeterC

It is - just swap. As in another post:

Th real problem is lack of good batten holders. Nothing like a ceiling rose with all the terminals - and one I saw seemed to have a metal strap between the terminals!

Reply to
PeterC

The trend in moving to ES is dwarfed by the trend to move to lights with unreplaceable lamps (e.g. built-in LEDs). This much better suits LEDs, where trying to cram them into retrofit formats with completely inappropriate thermal designs is a large compromise.

BTW, IKEA do ES/BC adapters so they can sell their ES lamps for BC fittings. IIRC, they are 2 for a quid, and they are the shortest ones I've seen, although they do unavoidably lengthen the lamp still. I first saw them in France, but they are available over here now too.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In some countries, Norway for example, there is no neutral. The house get s all three phases (but not the neutral) and each room has sockets connecte d to one pair of phases.

This means that if you blow one of the three main fuses you end up with all the appliances in one room being connected in series with all the applianc es in another room. This leads to bizarre effects such as the TV in the fr ont room coming on when someone switches on the toaster in the kitchen.

Reply to
RobertL

The ES has no moving parts. I've sometimes had the little sprung pins in a BC seize up.

Reply to
RobertL

I've had them break

Reply to
charles

Don't talk c*ck. The ES has a moving part - the bulb when you screw it in. And the join between the glass and the base is inherently weak, so don't leave the blub there for years at a time or cross-thread it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I've installed a few of these in the house over the past couple of years. They seem pretty good, & I'm happy with the light-to-power ratio & the installation methods (fix a lighweight "can" to the ceiling, connect the mains wiring inside that, then bring the bulk of the fitting up, plug it in, & turn a few thumbscrews to lock it in place). But the "non-replaceable parts" aspect makes me nervous for the long term. Am I just being paranoid?

Reply to
Adam Funk

No. The manufacturers will, of course, use this as an excuse to increase profit margins.

Reply to
Huge