Bow in Ceiling

Hi

After my previous post on Latex Paint on a ceiling, I followed good advice and scraped it all off - and it took me days! Anyway I have had the ceiling skimmed and it looks spotless - except when I look across the room, the ceiling has a bow in it. I didnt notice this before, but it must be fairly sound as I have scraped the paint off it and didnt notice anything loose opr bowed at the time. Is this because I can see dark wet plaster against magnolia walls, or might I have a bigger problem?

Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

propably the dark wet thing

I had a celing that was bowed about a foot in the middel, all held up with wood chip.

When te house got demolished it was fairly obvious that the bits of broom handle tied together with bailer twine and the old christmas tree that formed the joists and the mass of rubble that someone had dumped in the middle of the lathe and plaster ceiling were the cause.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have you checked it with a long straight-edge?

Reply to
Roger Mills

It happens that alec green formulated :

Plaster work is rarely absolutely flat, it is always a bit of a compromise. Does it look reasonable from the floor, is what you should be worried about.

The timber it is fixed to is never absolutely flat and it will move when weight is placed or removed above it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

you havent told us how much bowing, or how old the house is. If its dipping down a foot then yes, there's a problem.

NT

Reply to
NT

What is above it, ie is it loft space? I had this and it turned out to be due to a pile of old magazines and vinyl records all in one spot!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Just cleared three rubble sacks of old waste brick, pipe, plaster and household rubbish from under the floor of a 3m x 3m room. Also found 2 water leaks for good measure.

Rob

Reply to
RJH