Boiler problems

I posted this yesterday but after nearly 24 hours I still can't see it in the list so here it is again. Please accept my apologies if some of you are seeing it for the second time.

We live in a "standard" 3-bed semi dormer bungalow built in the 70's. We don't know how old the (back boiler type) gas central heating system is (definitely not part of the original build) but we've been in here for 15 years so the radiators and all the pipework are older than that. Two of the rads (bathroom and front bedroom) need bleeding every few days but it's hydrogen gas, not air, that's coming out - I know 'cos I lit it with a flame :o)

About 5 years ago we had to replace the gas fire and the back boiler. The new boiler we installed is a Baxi Bermuda 552. We bought the boiler from a friend who'd had it stored (in all it's original packing materials) in his garage for 2 years but never got round to fitting it. Anyway, it's now started kettling and I can't turn the telly up any higher without the neighbours complaining :o)

So, to summarize:

Rads and all pipework older than 15 years; Boiler actually 7 years old but only in use for 5 and now kettling; Hydrogen gas and black water that stains anything it comes into contact with, coming out when I bleed the rads.

I'll be replacing the 'traditional' rad in the bathroom with a chrome towel rail very soon (in fact, it's just arrived today) and as I'm going to have to drain the system to alter things for the new towel rail, what can be done to tackle the other problems at the same time?

Cheers,

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

You need to give the system a very good flush. Right now. If you wait, you might find that your entire central heating system needs wholesale replacement, pipes, radiators, cylinders, boilers and all.

Either remove all rads and pressure washer the insides in the garden, or hire a power flush kit from your local independent tool hire shop. After this, run the system with a descaler chemical for a week. Fix any leaks. The system may have corroded enough that the descaler causes a few pinhole leaks.

Then refill with water, making sure you actually put inhibitor in and replace it every 3 years. Ignore any pillocks who suggest that inhibitor is a waste of money.

Hopefully, you still have some radiators pipework and boiler left.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Cheers Christian, I'll do that - or, more precisely, a mate of mine will as I have a bad back at the moment :o)

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed