body repairs

Last year in this group we discussed the problem I had with the corrosion of my motorhome's body. Many voices said that any repair I did would not pass the MOT. In fact I ended up replacing the inner and outer leaves of the lower parts of the body, plus a lot of the ribs that supported it all. There was no problem at all with the MOT.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , Bill Wright writes

Excellent result! Took me straight back to working on Anglias and Minis, about 1970 :-)

Reply to
News

I'd guess a motorhome has a separate chassis - so body repairs won't be structural?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, it's a Merc T2/"Dusseldorf Transporter"/Vario van conversion. The vans are monocoque.

MOT rules are fairly clear...

No rot or repairs that seriously risk braking or steering or seriously weaken the body, or within 30cm of chassis/suspension/braking/seatbelt "prescribed areas".

BUT, unless they're going to risk falling foul of the "inadequate repairs" clause, repairs should be by the same method as original construction - so if a panel was spot-welded, then a complete panel can be spot-welded in. But where a panel is being patched, seam welding should be used. Pop-rivets to repair or replace welded panels...? No. This isn't the French CT.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes. This one is built on a lorry-type chassis.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No it's a Merc 709D. With a chassis.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I'd guess most large ones are. To be monocoque, they'd have to stick to the basic van body, if that was monocoque.

Only proviso with such repairs is they don't leave jagged edges which could cause injury to a third party.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)