blocked drain in bathroom

The basin in our bathroom has not been draining well over the last week. I've tried shifting it with a flexible metal rod. Also used caustic soda which didn't work. The blockage is not in the trap, but must be further along the pipe. Basin is now full of standing water, with 'Mr muscle', which also failed to unblock it. Any suggestions on what I do with this now?

Reply to
hicks

Caustic soda solution might have to be left all day or over-night for a really bad blockage, even though the label says leave for 30 minutes. Have you tried vigorous sink plunging? It is important to block the overflow whilst plunging otherwise a lot of the suction and pressure will be lost. Can you insert the flexible metal drain clearer up the outlet end? If all else fails and the waste pipe is connected with push-fit or compression fittings you may have to dismantle the pipe further along and clear the blockage. But if you can't get at the pipe or if it has welded fittings then its back to caustic soda and the plunger. You have got to be more determined that the blockage will move than the blockage is determined that it is going to stay put.

Reply to
Codswallop

================================ Look in your local shops for something like this:

can get them either with a sliding plunger as shown or as a simple plunger. Whichever you use make sure that there's no possibility of getting an eyeful of the caustic soda you've been using.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The pipe is not really accessible. I haven't tried plunging though. I'll try the suggested Screwfix product.

Reply to
hicks

On 6 Nov 2006 07:25:27 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@bigmailbox.net wrote this:-

It is probably hair caught on a joint.

Assuming the other suggestions don't work:

1) Siphon out as much as possible.

2) Dismantle the pipework until you find the obstruction.

3) Next time take action when the signs first appear.

4) If the waste involves a long convoluted run, consider a redesign.

Reply to
David Hansen

================================

Don't *buy* at Screwfix - it will cost an extra £5-00p in handling charges. Buy locally.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I use one of these and it's not failed me yet

't forget to block the overflow with a cloth.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You're right. It worked! 2.99 well spent there. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
hicks