Bladders in water pumps

Hi, My bladdered water pump has a problem. I found that there was water both sides of the bladder in the holding tank. Yet I cannot find a split (which is what I was expecting to find) or even a hole in the bladder.

I have filled it with water and stood it on dry concrete for half an hour but there was no leak. Can these bladders just leak under pressure, please?

Reply to
Howard Neil

Not know what the hell a bladdered water pump was I turned to google. The first one I looked at here

a bladderless bladder pump Might help?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It sounds as if it's bladdered.

I'll get me coat.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I realised the double entendre having posted. No need to get your coat. :-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

This is a picture of a similar pump.

really suspect that there is a weakness that only appears when it is under pressure (at which time it cannot be seen). I will ring the main agents tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to help.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Its not a bladdered pump, its a bladder in the pressure accumulator. The bladder simply keeps the water under pressure when the pump is off demand.

Sounds like a pressure leak to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thank you for the correction. It was difficult for me to describe it, particularly as different manufactures describe their tanks differently.

Yes, it's definitely a pressure leak. However, how does the water get from one side of the bladder to the other without going through it? Yet I can find no sign of a hole. I have ruled out osmosis as otherwise a similar effect would have been noticed in other bladders. My only thought is that there is a hole that only appears when the bladder is under tension and I hoped there would be someone on uk.d-i-y who could confirm or deny this possibility.

Still, only half an hour now and I should be able to speak to the main agents.

Reply to
Howard Neil

I have now spoken to the main agents and they have been most helpful. They agree that it is probably a small hole in the bladder that only leaks under pressure. The engineer I spoke to has known this once before (so, not a common occurrence). They are only £12.87 so not an expensive repair but they will have to order one from Italy and Italy are all on holiday during August.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Can you plse describe any symptoms that led you to investigate the pump in the first place? and how did you actually find that water was on both sides of the bladder thing?

we have a similar device which is acting a little odd - (very much quicker to come in and out than it used to be...)

thanks JimK

Reply to
jim