Black fence paint

I know it sounds a bit morbid, but I want a black fence. I had one in my previous house, and the plants looked fantastic against it.

I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about =A315.

Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?

Reply to
David P

I have about 20 metres to 'paint', and so far all I can find is Garden Shades in 2.5 litre pots, at about £15.

Anyone know of a more cost-effective alternative?

Simple black emulsion paint, then a coat of a good quality varnish to seal it in.

Reply to
BigWallop

You could always coat it in old engine oil. Very cheap, very protective, and very black!!! (Just don't lean up against it!)

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Surely oil would stink?!

I have also thought about using a spray gun, I think it would require less paint, and certainly less time. Has anyone tried them outside?

Reply to
David P

Yes, outdoor fence painting is particularly suited to spray application. Ensure you dilute the paint as directed.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Actually it doesn't. I know my posting was partly 'tongue in cheek' but going back a few years this was a fairly common practice. The old engine oil was a cheap and less smelly alternative to creosote. The only downside was the black colour, but as that is what you actually want.......................... !!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

Years ago people used to mix it with creosote

downsides :- carcenogenic mixed with creosote it rubs off onto clothes hands etc used neat it would never dry its got to smell, open your filler cap on your engine and take a whif (after

6000 miles)

upsides :- errr

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So perhaps just buy the Garden Shades stuff and spray it?

Reply to
David P

I agree with that, it stinks for evermore, and rubs off on things. The only way to deal with it is to rip the fence down, and get rid of it. Might be OK if far enough away from people to not matter. In your garden, don't. Use creosote instead (well, the version you can buy now, anyway, which is still better than other stuff).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Hi,

Also it has detergents in so much of it'll wash off into the soil.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not personally, but my neighbour did. The result was that other neighbours had droplets on their windows, cars, foliage, paving stones etc.

Reply to
BeeJay

Seems there is no easy solution then - just patience. Wont be done for the BBQ in 2 weeks time for sure!

Reply to
David P