BG CH cost...

Why does a dog lick its balls?

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

While I haven`t had chance to inspect their work yet, the little I did see looked ok to me...

Part of the quote will have probably been to take into account an old warm-air unit, full of lovely asbestos and welded in place ! :-p (sounds like it was a real biatch to remove as well ;-) )

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I wonder why ?

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I think its more a climate of fear rather than stupidity. People can feel it in their bones that things are a bit dodgy with gas these days so they gravitate towards a name they can trust (rightly or wrongly).

I really cant comment on the original quote. Who can say whetehr its high or not?. I note from the OP that for instance there was some asbestos material to be removed. BG would have had to do this in the proper manner and have it disposed of correctly.Would bert the plumber have done that?. Maybe yes,maybe no.

It is wrong to say that BG only use subcontractors. I personally have associates who work for BG and some of them fit central heating. They are skilled and conscientous men and it is just not in their nature to do a rough job. They have pride in their work because they have been trained in the proper manner. See my post further up re tradesmen.

I will concede that BG have made the mistake of hiring contractors in the past because whislt i was in their employ,BG decided it was too expensive for me,their own employee!!!!!!, to fit heating and therefore they subbed it out. It wasnt too expensive though for them to send me round a week later to refit it and sort out the bodges whilst consoling a very upset customer who had by then,lost all confidence.

But then we cant have it both ways can we chaps?. Here we have people decrying BG for their high quotes and stating that they hire sub contractors. Whats wrong with sub contactors?. Mr Stumbles ,in the discussion re tradesmen ,would say that they are all ACS certified CORGI regd and fully competent ?

You cant have your cake and eat it people. Quality tradesmen need quality training and that costs money. Someone has to pay for it.

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

No argument there. Time to force all PLCs to take on apprentices, and only permit them to employ x% of their entire workforce as temps or subcontractors.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

People choose BG because they think they are paying for peace of mind. A friend's Mum used them and spoke so highly of them because they cleaned their mess afterwards. I told her she could have paid a cleaner £50 and saved herself two grand. This however did not make any sense to her.

I saw 5 young kids the other day walking near my mates shop and wondered what they were up to, They looked a bit thuggish to me and up to no good. Then I saw them walk up to their little Peugeot BG vans. Honest, no joke.

Reply to
StealthUK

Tsk tsk,people will begin to think you have a personal axe to grind for some reason...

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Hey...some of my best friends are BG engineers. :-)

Reply to
StealthUK