Better glazing for unheated "sunroom"

The question is if there is nowadays better glazing that could be retrofitted and improve the thermal properties of what is fundamentally, in my opinion, incorrect construction.

In our house we have an (unfortunately) unheated "sunroom". That' a room that has three sides exposed, with 2m-tall, floor-standing windows for walls and a pitched, insulated roof. There is no ceiling per se, one can see the eaves, but if there was one it would have been

2-2.2m high (no thanks :-)). It is significantly (up to 1.5m) raised from the ground.

We use this very infrequently, for the expected reasons; despite the black-out blinds in the summer it can exceed 35deg and in the winter my stingy heart aches to heat it with an oil-filled radiator (though it is on at the frost setting). In spring it can be unbearably hot during the day and still need heating in the evening.

It is double-glazed, with wooden frames and must be 10-15 years old. I have no simple way of extending the heating to it (wooden floors in the adjoining room and concrete/terracotta tile floor in the sunroom).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-- Kostas

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

blinds to stop sun, gazing film to make it triple glazed, and in the unlikely even that its practical, more thermal mass. Also passive heating/cooling would be a boon for such a room.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks. We already have black-out blinds, but they are not too effective as they are inside the window. I will see what gazing film is. I guess thermal mass is more insulation on the roof.

What is passive heating? I am guessing that passive cooling is fans or something that kick in with a thermostatic trigger?

Cheers!

Reply to
Kostas Kavoussanakis

sorry, glazing film. Its a clear film used to make secondary glazing. Better options are rigid plastics and glass.

There's almost no thermal mass in insulation. Thermal mass stores heat, and means concrete, water or stone

Yes, making use of the day/night temperature cycling to cool the room in summer and warm it in spring/autumn. I wrote an article on it but it still needs a fair bit of work before going live.

NT

Reply to
NT