Best plastic to replace outdoor glass?

We have lost a couple of sheets of glass from sheds etc. in the recent wind. I'm thinking I might replace them with plastic sheet of some sort. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the various sorts of plastic available?

Super glass-like transparency isn't an absolute must, resistance to cracking is possibly one of the major requirements.

Reply to
cl

Polycarbonate is about the best

Chris Hogg

Ordinary polycarbonate will go yellow, translucent, and brittle after ten years or so, although ISTR there are UV resistant versions at a price. Acrylic (Perspex) is much more UV resistant (used on aircraft, boats), but also less strong and more expensive.

Reply to
newshound

Well are these heated sheds? As you say cracking can occur. Plexiglass, the slightly pliable stuff that looks blue on their edges seems to be very good and does not seem to go milky and fall to bits as perspex does. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Plexiglas" is a registered trade name for the same acrylic material (polymethyl methacrylate, PMMA) that Perspex is made from (Also Lucite, Acrylite).

That's not to say that different commercial products may not be treated or tweaked for UV resistance. Best thing to do is check suppliers warrenties.

Reply to
newshound

Polycarbonate is IIRC the best. But DYOR

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

polycarb has higher impact resistance, bus shelters riot shields, but is softer it scratches easy.

Acrylic, perspex/plexiglass has higher transparency and higher scratch resistance at cost of being more fragile.

Adam Aglionby

Thanks (and the other replies), that's told me most of the things I need to know.

Reply to
cl