best adhesive to stick plywood to glass?

Could someone recommend a good adhesive to stick the edge of some plywood to the flat of a plane of glass?

Many thanks!

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

Thanks Harry. Is there much to choose between the 6 Araldite products shown here:

?

Putting it on with a syringe sounds about right, but that still leaves two to choose from!

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

Lots of them. Unlike metals or plastic, you shouldn't have too much of a problem here with thermal expansion breaking the joint.

I might use cyanoacrylate, or epoxy if I wanted some gap filling. You could also use various silicones and polyurethane mastics. If you want a big of resilience in a large job, I'd use PU (if I had some handy) or else silicone.

Mirrormate is also worth a look - it won't damage the silvering on mirrors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

For what purpose? (It makes a difference)...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I wouldn't use araldite. To likely t shear in very hot/cold cases. It doesn't stick to glass THAT well.

I'd actually probably use hot glue Or evostik contact. Or some urethane type rubbery adhesive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's a pane

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks Andy. I need to stick the edge of a piece of 5mm plywood, 10cm long, to the middle of the flat of a pane of 5mm glass, at a funny angle (so a glue that fills gaps would be good), and to do this four times. The glass is plain, transparent, without silvering.

Could you recommend a specific type of product (or product) out of those that you mention?

Thanks again!

John

Reply to
John Nagelson

But a lot hinges on it, and there's always a catch somewhere.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It would depend on the mechanical load. If you're gluing it against a shear load (the other end of the plywood is attached elsewhere), then any would work (although cyano would need the plywood edge sanded smooth first).

If it's a cantilever and this is the only support it's getting, then I'd use epoxy. I'd use West System thin epoxy (I always do) and I'd fill it with cellulose fibre filler to thicken it and make it stronger.

If it didn't need to be rigid, but did need to not be brittle, then I'd use silicone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

MS polymer.

Reply to
Bolted

Many thanks! The other end of the plywood will be attached in similar fashion to another pane of glass. I think I may use thicker than 5mm glass now. If any of the adhesives you mention would do the job, I may go for epoxy. Need also to have it fairly thick, so it doesn't run all over the place, so I'll check out some fillers. Also need it to be clear if possible.

Thanks again. John

Reply to
John Nagelson