Base For Greenhouse To Sit On

Sorry caps lock on. What would be the best base for a 6X4 lean t

greenhouse I have a choice of either 4X4 wooden fence posts or pavin slabs. Which would be best or would anyone recommend something else

-- Alec

Reply to
Alec

Dig trench. Pour concrete.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

For a 6 ft by 4 ft greenhouse? - it may only be there for a few years, my advice to the OP would be to put it on flags, the chances are you'll either get bored of gardening and get rid of it, or get really into it and find that you want a full sized (12ft by 8ft) GH standing alone away from the house for better light, in which case it's not going to stay around for very long.

Reply to
Phil L

That small ?:-)

Yeah it will, he'd just get another GH, can never have too many Greenhouses :-) And lean to one have benefits for propagating in later winter early spring - the house wall tends to help keep the temp up a bit, and if you are insulating /heating it then is less glass for heat loss. And being by the house tend to be very handy for popping in.

Of your suggestions Alec, I'd go with the slabs, or with Owain's concrete slab. I also suggest considering putting down a couple of course of brick, or a course of concrete blocks to put the GH frame on. the height of GH is often quite low and a bit of extra head room is often useful.- for humans and for plants.

I wouldn't bother about soil beds in such a small greenhouse, it just makes using the space flexibly harder, just put stuff like toms etc. in growbags/pots.

If you search old uk.rec.gardening posts via Googlegroups for this topic you'll find plenty of discussion on it.

Reply to
chris French

Slabs is my choice.

When I get round tuit, I am going to use concrete bocks for mine..simply to allow something hard at ground level to cut the grass too..tends to break the glass if its not raised above rotary mower/strimmer stone chucking height.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I installed an 8x6 gh from B&Q and instructions called for 3 courses of bricks on 18x18 slabs.

Reply to
Bob Martin