Asbestos paint?....

On the old house we're renovating at the moment, there is an asbestos stench pipe, the one that connects to the lavvy and vents the fowle gasses to the atmosphere and thus enhances global warming;!.

The pipe is in very good nick itself but is a rather sick shade of puce. We want to paint it Black, but would the correct paint be Gloss Black or perhaps something bitumen based like car body sealant?....

TIA:)

Reply to
tony sayer

gloss works, but isnt very long lived. I'd go for a much better quality paint, like tar, linseed, or pliolite.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Best paint for drainpipes is a bitumen-based steelwork paint. You can get this from a Blacksmith's Outfitters (if you can find one) or where I get mine, which is Chassis Black (by Leyland paints, AFAIR) from a truck parts factor like Edmunds Walker. This isn't a plain bitumen paint - if you use that it has poor adhesion, shrinks with age and cracks into a crackle finish.

I'm not sure how this will take to asbestos cement though. All those cement boards are quite alkaline on the surface and they will "burn" most paints that aren't intended for use directly onto masonry. I'd advise something as an undercoat.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Such as an alkali resisting primer? - e.g.

Andy Wade