Araldite or wood glue?

Cascamite sets very hard and brittle, which is probably best accoustically.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, phooey! The difference wouldn't be detectable by any normal human being. You'd get much more acoustic variance by the amount of your body or clothing that's pressing aginst the back and sides of the guitar while playing than the type of glue used for the bridge!

Jake Daley

Reply to
Jake

You really should learn your subject before giving advice on a subject you clearly aren't knowledgeable in. The bridge on a typical acoustic guitar does not take the tension of the strings. The bridge plate under the top takes most of the tension. The strings then pass over the bridge saddle, and the string tension actually presses the bridge downwards onto the top.

Jake

Reply to
Jake

Not so. The acoustics there are of the high stress low amplitude variety. You need something that will transmit sound very very accurately.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Jim, Have a look at:

Jake

Who said guitar players were normal ? Even if you can't hear it, they're like hifi nuts and their oxygen-free speaker cables. The placebo effect is as important as any actual reality.

Besides which, I'm talking about JB Weld, not plain epoxy. Now that you can start to hear.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

============

Good point; thank you for pointing it out.

Thanks again for your help.

Jim T

Reply to
Jim T

Not on the ones I have played. The bridge rocks forward under tension.

Sure the strings go down into the body, but the whole thing still takes massive tension and that has to be distributed all over the guitar body or the bridge will tear off. Mine didn't have a bridge plate underneath either.

I accept my experience is mostly with steel strung and not nylon strung spanish style guitars tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Cicero writes

The strings on a violin terminate behind the bridge (can I think of the name of the bloody thing?)

The strings on a traditional acoustic guitar terminate on the bridge by pegs which fir through the guitar body

Just look at a picture of each and you'll instantly see what I'm saying

Reply to
raden

In message , JimT writes

A couple of coach bolts then ...

Reply to
raden

In message , Andy Dingley writes

Oxygen free guitar strings ha ... here comes my first million

There are several occasions where oxygen free singers would be a bonus

"JB Weld rocks" shock horror

Reply to
raden

foaming PU wood adhesive?

Reply to
Steve Walker

The words Araldite and restoration shouldn't appear in the same sentence. I hope Jim is doing this on is own guitar rather than 'restoring' someboby else's!

If the top of the guitar is fine and the bridge is distorted - make a new bridge (or buy one) - and glue it with a traditional hot hide glue (made out of animals). Then if the new bridge ever needs replacing it can be steamed off the top of the guitar. Use Araldite and if you get it wrong the guitar is buggered forever ...

Anyway sticking a distorted bridge on a guitar will cause all kinds of tuning problems - it won't sound too good!

Rob

Reply to
Rob Griffiths