Approximate cost of replacement double glazing for bay window

I'd like some rough ideas as to the cost of replacing a bay window. The bay is about 9' total size and is made up of 1 large window and 2 smaller side pieces at 45 degrees. The window is about 1.5m high I think. (sorry for mix of units!).

I'm sure someone said before to estimate about £1.5k for each bay, however after using some supplier's online calculator, it came out about £3k a bay I think.

Seeing as we've got 2 bays (downstairs and up) that's a huge price!

So, what would be a reasonable price to have in my head when thinking about it? £1.5k or £3k a bay? I realise things can vary a lot between companies and areas, but I'm just after a ballpark figure. I'm in Guildford, Surrey BTW.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

The only way to find out is to ask for quotes (obviously). I would think the £1.5k is more like it - we recently had a bay similar to the one you describe, plus an upstairs window plus a large glazed french door set with full height windows either side from not the cheapest company around and it was £4.5k uPVC-coated aluminium frames rather than uPVC (which also adds a premium) (Oxfordshire).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

What material? Sash or casement? How many opening lights?

Supply only, or supply and fit?

AFAICT, the price fitted will be about 10 times the cost of materials, unless decent hardwood is used.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Okay, I'm thinking of uPVC frames, casement windows with the 2 side parts of the bay having top openers and side openers for the bottom part and I want it fitted. Obviously, as its a bay, the frames must be stronger/whatever is necessary.

That's what I've got in my head anyway.

Thanks

David Hearn

Well my parents had a HUGE bay done in quality hardwood (may have been oak, not sure). Each window was an opening sash. They were double glazed, draughtproofed and factory coated in acrylic. They came with a 100 year guarantee. Cost was around 3000 quid fitted very professionally. Your original quote seems very high unless they were factoring in structural repairs to the bay.

BTW, you may find that the window frames are structural. Replacement with uPVC may result in collapse.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How true. My local supplier told me he once saw some Anglian fitters take out a whole downstairs bay without support. The householder, who had just come home to see how they were getting on, was less than happy when the upstairs bay etc collapsed onto his BMW. The repair costs for the house alone were >£30k

Reply to
BillR

Unless done by someone know knows what they are doing (which with window installers may be questionable) - see "BAY WATCH - The Disaster Movie" (a fairly old page but probably still valid)

Tony Bryer

Who was the supplier?

Reply to
Tim

I think it might have been the Original Box Sash Window Company. If not, it was a very similar company.

Christian McArdle