amps & intelligent mains panel

But one of these things is unlikely to do that. It will itself be on standby and probably made by some crappy company. The thing itself is as likely to explode as the TV.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

...and if it fails, then upgrade to 5A and absent mindedly place the blown

3A fuse back in your pile of 3A fuses.....
Reply to
RichardS

Get a simple switched multi-way, put it somewhere accessible and get into the habit of using that to switch everything off rather than the TV switch. Or if accessible use the switch on the wall outlet socket.

There's something to be said for doing this - if the switch eventually wears out then it's a hell of a lot cheaper to replace either the multiway or the wall socket than it would be to have the TV main switch replaced.

Reply to
RichardS

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:cp5dmc$6v6$1 @new-usenet.uk.sun.com:

Just checking - does that mean that Colin's right and that a TV (or appliance in general) would be unconditionally safe even with no fuse after the CU? So we could put a 13A fuse in as long as it was wired with a hefty cable?

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Depends on the appliance. Most electronic stuff is fused to protect its transformers etc, but electrical stuff probably will not be

Reply to
Coherers

AIUI the OP was referring to the plug at the end of the original flex fitted to the TV. I doubt if it would have been 1.5mm^2 flex.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

I used on of these many years ago to turn on TV (acting as monitor) and disk drive power supply for my BBC computer. Problem was TV did not like being turned on by just applying power and kept on blowing its internal 3A fuse. Fine if switched on via front switch but not by just applying mains. Ended up using it on HiFi separates instead switch on pre-amp, turns on rest via immediate switch on and ampflifier via a 5 second delayed switch on. Eventually broke after a couple of years, consisted of relays and some thryristers and other components (including coils), the thryristers being blown.

Reply to
Ian Middleton