Alpha 240E Gas Combi - poor DHW

Good point, David. Boiler was installed in c.2000 and has always been fine, with the exception of the stated replacement of the pcb which would have been probably 4 years ago. No plumbing circuit changes, nothing different at all. The boiler is the only gas appliance. It's not until very recently that we've turned the CH on; it's possible that the DHW problems described started around that time. Since we noticed a problem c. two weeks ago it's got more pronounced. Cold mains pressure is very good. Thanks

Reply to
Kingsley Sawyers

Hi Hoping for wise words in diagnosing the problem with my Alpha 240E combi boiler. Supply to the CH seems fine, in that those radiators which are not locally thermostatically controlled are getting warm. The problem is with the domestic hot water. Looking at the boiler when a tap is turned on, the progress is;

- run a tap

- boiler detects the water demand and fires the burners

- water at the tap starts to flow warm

- after perhaps 20s (variable), burners cut out (no warning/ indicator lights first)

- after another short delay, the burners usually cut in again At the start of the week, it was possible to get a constant burn for DHW to a downstairs tap by asking for quite a strong flow, i.e. tap nearly full on. At lower flow rates it would burn-cycle. Now even that is gone; the water isn't getting hot regardless of the flow requested. Flow to the bathroom upstairs is now hopeless. Not only is the flow rate much reduced from "normal", it barely gets above lukewarm such is the burn cycling problem. I've had my local CH technician out - the boiler was serviced, and he's had the heat exchanger off to check for scale etc. - very clean. I phoned Alpha and asked for a Service Manual. They readily agreed and an envelope arrived yesterday - unfortunately just a user guide which tells me nothing much beyond the fact that is uses gas to heat water. Certainly no use for diagnostics. I recall that we've had to replace the/ a PCB a few years ago, at 120GBP or so. But presumably the failure could be of a thermostat, or the divertor valve? Simple diagnostic steps anyone? Thanks Kingsley

Reply to
Kingsley Sawyers

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:00:39 +0100 someone who may be "Kingsley Sawyers" wrote this:-

Combination boilers are not much good at heating water, other then in specific conditions.

You neglected to say whether this is something which has always been a problem, developed suddenly, has slowly been getting worse or whether the plumbing has been changed. That might help those who diagnose these contraptions to get closer to the cause.

Reply to
David Hansen

...um ... this is where I want to ask some awkward questions.

There can be no scale near the inlet and outlet whilst deep inside between the plates there is trouble.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

.

Go to

and drill down to your particular boiler, where you'll find a "Download" tab for both user manuals and installation/service manuals to download in .pdf format.

John.

Reply to
John