Airlock in upstairs radiators

I've refilled my (vented) central heating system after replacing a radiator. After some trouble with getting air out of the system, I eventually got all the radiators filled with water, and (although it doesn't seem to have a bleed valve) the hot water circuit seems to be full too.

Downstairs radiators are heating up and so is the hot water, but all upstairs radiators are cold. Turning off the downstairs radiators doesn't help, so I presume there's still some air hiding somewhere in the system.

Any suggestions for how to shift this? From searching around for previous advice, I can find suggestions of bleeding the radiators in the hope that, after a few bucketfuls of water, the air will come out. There's also the "stick a hosepipe on the drain valve" method, but as the expansion tank doesn't have an overflow, I really don't fancy that!

David

Reply to
davidmcn

Still worth trying - carefully! - though

David

Reply to
Lobster

What!!!! No overflow on an expansion tank. Very dodgy. After a cold spell (contraction leading to water being added by the ball valve) - then turning on the heating the amount of expansion may exceed the space in the tank.

Reply to
John

The real danger is if/when (!) the float valve washer packs up and the valve keeps running water into the tank which overflows over your ceilings. Since this is a prima facie case of a bodged installation I'd carefully check what other horrors exist (the air-locks are a clue) and whether it's worth correcting them or maybe ripping out the dodgy stuff and converting to a sealed system.

In the short term I'd turn off the feed to the float valve of the f & e tank and just check the level and top it up every few months as needs be.

Reply to
John Stumbles

you are correct about air in the system so the trick is to release that air. First make sure that there is water in the overhead tank. Loosen one of those fresh nuts on the line just a few turns slowly until air or then water is released. If water comes close it again and repeat a bit higher up until you find it and release all the air until water comes.

Reply to
noelogara