Home Automation, control your household lights and appliances over the internet

Page 2 of 2

No, we get a useful newsgroup with out commercial advertising
--
geoff

So many Daves but I'll raise my trembling hands up to doing this. I posted the spammer (indeed putting the From and Reply-To as himself and making no attempt to hide my identity) an email as follows:

I find it difficult to match that with 'hurling insults and swearing" but still, in the world of spammers (of whom snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com is but an example, perhaps I should have emailed snipped-for-privacy@yellowmelon.com and snipped-for-privacy@AutoM8it.com as well) any hints of reality are likely to be confused.
--
dave @ stejonda

as well) any hints of reality are likely to be

Oh David. That's naughty and not as harsh as it should have been.

Sorry, I'm not very good at this DIY lark!
(but I'm trying (as many people will confirm))
--
dave @ stejonda

writes

LOL !!!
I've been told I'm trying, very trying.

I'm sorry; I didn't know you owned windose.
--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

On 16 Oct 2003 02:55:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com (Jim Brett) wrote:

THIS group works well mostly because we support each other unconditionally; so coming in here all "divide and conquer" is probably a bad ploy. You take us as a whole or not at all I say. And so would a few others in my guesstimate, but you'd best ask them to be certain, as I am not about to make any presumptions on another's behalf. Frankly, I'd consider yourself lucky that more or all didn't decide to do something about it.
To make a superficial apology and then nullify it by trying to justify and excuse wasn't an entirely convincing second move either.
<PLONK><GLOBALLY>
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Yeah, I've killfiled him
I totally agree with you, we might have our little flames from time to time, but we all pull together
--
geoff

Thanks, & BTW, as long as you're here, d'you want to buy an upright piano kit Mister? Easy to assemble guv, honest! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
"Gnube" wrote | Thanks, & BTW, as long as you're here, d'you want to buy an | upright piano kit Mister? Easy to assemble guv, honest! ;O)
"No need to wait in for delivery - fits through letterbox for your added convenience"
"All mechanical parts included. Simply add your choice of wood panelling to create an heirloom that will be treasured by future generations"
Owain
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:06:03 +0100, "Owain"

I got just the thing for you too Sir, some loverly "only slightly used at the outer and inner edges" Screwfix grinding discs they are 3.25" and have a bore of 65mm! Some have very interesting "irregular" center bores, very "art de beachcomber" some of them are, so they can be used to make nice ornamental displays or earings also! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Upright piano kit?
I've got an upright piano, but it doesn't keep up with fashions, it just sits there nekkid
--
geoff

Firstly let me apologise to the group (excluding DAVE) for the possible offense cause. This was in fact a one of message addressed directly at the group with the sincere hope that it would be of genuine interest. Please be assured that no more "spam" mails will be sent from either myself or the company as we repect the groups wishes (again exclusing DAVE)
DAVE: Obviously you are very aggreived with my simple email. To the extent you have wasted your own valuable time doing a basic reverse lookup of my details (not difficult as i wasnt trying to hide my details as per a spamming agent) and sending me private obusive emails (attempting to spoof them from my own account). Quite frankly im amazed at how much trouble you have gone to, to try and offend me, insult me, and publicise my personal details.
All it would have taken, was a simple professional email address to me direct or on the group saying that the email was considered unsolicted spam, and request i not post similar message again in the future. To which i would have happily concurred.

All it would have taken on your part, Jim, would have been to sample the group (speed-reading a few threads), and in particular to have put in the effort to find the group's FAQ, to work out whether direct commercial postings are welcome/tolerated/dropped-on-from-a-height. You'd have found that this particular group's social norms are strongly against direct advertising: the strength of reaction even to clearly-flagged ads like yours has (as the FAQ says) managed to keep the signal-to-noise ratio in this group unusually high. You might then have chosen either to forget using this group to advertise in (we're obviously a bunch of lentil-eating anti-capitalist tossers who don't understand that buying and selling is what makes the world go round), or to lurk quietly for a bit, chiming in when home automation questions came up[1], adding a one-line sig with your company URL, and letting the usefulness of your contributions be all the company advertising you need here. (Like Max Bone, Hepworths, cetltd, and a good few others do. Even - and I can't quite believe I'm writing this - the once-notorious Robert L Bass appears to have learnt to do in comp.home.automation, where Google tells me you posted a similar <ADVERT> a week ago).
Yes, it's a non-trivial bit of effort on your part. Still, you're the one who's hoping to drum up some business, and you're hoping to target your potential market much more accurately than putting stickers on the lampposts round about where you live and work. Moreover, whatever the level of your previous experience and competence, for now *you're* the newcomer in this group, so normal social mores ("when in Rome"...) suggest you should listen-and-adapt rather than assume a particular style of behaviour.
Having apparently not bothered to do this preparation, you've been jumped on with varying degrees of politeness. You're still welcome to adopt the constructive-engagement strategy outlined above, though it might be a practical idea to leave it for a few weeks till both you and the participants here have allowed the first wisps of the mists of time to shroud the little flare-up we just had...
HTH, Stefek
[1] If, after a few week's lurking, no HA questions appear[ed], that would suggest this particular group would not be worth posting an ad in, anyway, let alone constructively engaging...

Unless you have expertise in other fields of DIY which you can share with others in the group.
(Sorry Stefek, just thought I'd add that little bit on the end and save typing it all out again and ruining such a perfect literary composition) :-))

Usenet <> email

ah, not me but someone more eminent ;-)

the only language spammers such as those at snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com understand

you shouldn't have done so in the first place

that's what all spammers say
--
dave @ stejonda

On 16 Oct 2003 03:17:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@autom8it.com (Jim Brett) wrote:

No it wasn't. It was an attempt to use the group as a free advertising medium for your company.

Good. Now piss off.
--

Dave

Jim Brett wrote:

No offence taken by me - advertising is not prohibited in the charter of uk.d-i-y, in fact there isn't one for this group. Commercial adverts are, though, deprecated in the FAQ, however this is just that - a FAQ, concocted by unelected and unaccountable people (this, it might be said, is because most people don't want to be bothered maintaining a FAQ!). There is a way to "acceptably" commercially advertise on uk.d-i-y, which acceptance I personally find rather two-faced.

Fine, fine - perhaps you could advise on some d-i-y matters yourself, and commercially advertise yourself at the same time, as some others do?

If this dong *has* sent anything such as you suggest, you are quite within your rights to complain to *his* ISP or employer, and I would, if I were you. However, oil on troubled waters is probably better than feeding the furnace. Hopefully you will receive an apology. --
be snipped-for-privacy@thai.com! Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!

Excuse me, but the signature at the bottom of many posters replies, is there whether they post to the group or to anywhere else for that matter. It is not a blatant use of free advertising, it is just stuck at the bottom of all the postings we send out to the world.

Sorry, that was too deep for me
--
geoff