6 ohm speakers - uprate to 8 ohm?

With horizontal players there is a risk of fluff getting on the lens which may prevent it from focussing.

Zippo lighter fluid seems to be most volatile. ;-)

It was done.

Your CD transports may be of better standard than anything today which doesn't cost an arm-an'-a-leg.

Reply to
thirty-six

In message , Tim Streater writes

The amplifier's output will be essentially a voltage source, and its impedance will probably be only a small fraction of an ohm. A 6 ohm speaker will draw around 8/6ths of the 8 ohm current, and the power will be 8/6 squared more (appx 1.78 times more). But whether it sounds louder probably largely depends on the design of the speaker. You may need to reduce the volume control setting. Also, even at the same audible volume, I believe that the distortion performance might not be quite as good. Personally, I doubt if anyone would know the difference.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It will depend on the relative sensitivities of the speakers and the precise design of the amplifiers. It's not even worth the trouble investigating what chip is used, it really is a matter of connecting it up and ensuring that the background speakers aren't intrusive or out of phase with the front speakers. If the back speakers are intrusive or distorting at what is a usable front speaker level then some resistance requires adding to the rear. Cheap co-axial wire is most suitable for remote speaker connects and simple ellipticals or dual cone ellipticals work well for this.

Reply to
thirty-six

Co-ax for speakers? You live and learn.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, it'll take mains if I've nothing better to hand...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It wouldn't surprise me if some power amplifiers reacted to having coax wire used to connect to speakers by oscillating wildly. You really want the equivalent of about 1mm^2 cross section of copper (or more) in each wire of a decent speaker cable intended to preserve bass response.

Basic figure of 8 speaker cable using annealed copper is fine. You don't need stuff hand spun by mermaids in an oxygen free atmosphere.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I see no reason that it should matter. The more the speaker's ohms

Not quite as much - but significant.

Assume, for simplicity, that the amplifier output is 8V RMS.

Power is E^2/R = 64/8 = 8W for an 8 ohm speaker

and 64/6 = 10.66W for a 6 ohm speaker, which is an increase of a third.

As the voltage is fixed, the current delivered by the amplifier also increases by 33% - so the important bit here is whether the amplifier can deliver this extra power without damage.

Reply to
Terry Casey

It would be a very poor amplifier that couldn't cope. Most are supposed to shut down or decrease output power if they don't like their load. Though some will oscillate if they really can't cope with exotic low impedance speakers, silly types of audiophile cable or both.

A nominal 8ohm speaker can vary in actual impedance across the audio range from something like 4 to 16 ohms or more depending on the actual frequency and how the crossovers are implemented. It is not uncommon for a nominal 8R speaker to go down to below 4R and up to 16R eg

1 solid line is the impedance in ohms (with a silly number of digits on the axes)

Reply to
Martin Brown

Well, you could simply put a 2 ohm resistor in series with each one. Then you'd be sure not to damage the amp. Make sure the resistor can take the power.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I'm sure it would. But just why you'd use a bulky expensive cable over the correct type escapes me.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Given a half decent power amp will have a very low output impedance, adding resistance to this somewhat negates it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So the frequency response will degrade because the impedance of the loudspeaker is not constant at all frequencies?

This may be so, but I think many people use loudspeaker cables with a resistance (both wires) higher than 2 ohms.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

More to the point the loudspeaker cone no longer goes where it is told to by the applied voltage. Look up damping factor.

More fool them then. On a nominally 8R system you don't really want to have anything more than 0.5R series resistance in the wire and I prefer something under 0.1R. That way the bass sounds more like the original.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Sucked it and saw. All seems to work O.K. AFAICT the 'surround' speakers are at a slightly lower volume than the main speakers but there isn't a gread deal in it. Whatever, it sounds nice.

Shame about the other stack, but it dodn't really owe us anything.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It's more the bass that suffers. The amplifier 'damps' the movement of the coil - sort of preventing it overshooting. Of course this may not be terribly apparent on a modest system.

IIRC, the recommendation is that the loop resistance of the cable shouldn't exceed 10% of the nominal speaker impedance. Better than that won't do any harm. In general a decent 2.5mm² cable will be fine for most domestic runs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It never was constant at all frequencies.

Unlikely.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why not put the speakers a hundred yards up the road? The cable resistance would then provide the extra 2 ohms.

Top tip!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Fifty yards of bellwire?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I always use virgin speaker cable. Because of the increased initial resistance. However it degrades with continuous usage.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

David WE Roberts :

Surely as soon as you use it, it's not virgin any more?

Reply to
Mike Barnes