2D Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Sorry if this might not be DIY enough, but I was guessing that people here would have opinions on the subject.

I am considering buying a number of flush light fittings, and the favourite so far takes a 2D compact fluorescent bulb (2 pin FWIW). I was wondering if there are any disadvantages I should be aware of. I am particularly concerned about potential lack of availability in the future. Anyone know if this style is currently getting more or les popular, or if the EU is planning to phase it out through legislation?

Reply to
Steve Slatcher

The current 2D lamps are below the minimum efficiency the EU plans to allow. However, at least one manufacturer seems to think they are sufficiently important that they are producing more energy efficient retrofits, so I think you're safe in choosing to use them. Their use is very widespread in commercial fittings. 16W, 28W, and

38W are common (energy efficient retrofits will be slightly lower ratings). 10W and 21W are much less common and therefore might become harder to find in the future (which is unfortunate, because I use these in some luminaires I have designed myself). 2D lamps can be mounted in any orientation, but if mounted vertically, the loops should be at the top. They are available in 2-pin versions with a built-in starter for mains series ballasts, or 4-pin versions for electronic control gear.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The current 2D lamps are below the minimum efficiency the EU plans to allow. However, at least one manufacturer seems to think they are sufficiently important that they have started producing more energy efficient retrofits, so I think you're safe in choosing to use them. Their use is very widespread in commercial fittings. 16W, 28W, and

38W are common (energy efficient retrofits will be slightly lower ratings). 10W, 21W, and 55W are much less common and I guess might be less likely to be replaced by energy efficient retrofits (which is unfortunate, because I use these in some luminaires I have designed myself). 2D lamps can be mounted in any orientation, but if mounted vertically, the loops should be at the top. They are available in 2-pin versions with a built-in starter for 240V series ballasts, or 4-pin versions for electronic control gear (dimmable with suitable control gear).
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many thanks for the helpful reply, Andrew.

Reply to
Steve Slatcher