240 volt relay

Can anyone suggest a 240volt operated relay which will switch a 3kw load (immersion heater) and where to buy.

Reply to
PJ

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 21:43:33 +0100, "PJ" strung together this:

One of these,

one of these,

Lurch

I think these are normally called contactors and can be obtained from your local wholesale electrical distributors, just tell them what you want it for. Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just out of interest why do you want one?

If it is to use a timer on it B&Q (amongst others) do dedicated timers for immerson heaters.

Reply to
aj

Relays and contactors are a mystery to many electricians, let alone counter bods.

Best to know what you really need and not to rely on someone who can't really be expected to have reliable technical knowledge.

The IMM syndrome - estensive parts knowledge, but not a clue what they do in practice.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I want one because the stat on my immersion heater is bust and I can't get a replacement. Whoever fitted the heater in the first instance butchered the thread and so I'd have to replace the whole cylidner. So I'm going to use an external tank mounted stat wired to a contactor to switch the supply to the heater. I currently use a timer anyway.

Out of interest the same external stat operates a motorised valve which allows flow through the central heating heat exchanger within the cyliner and that is fed from the central heating pipes of my Combi boiler. If the stat calls for heat and the central heating is on, it heats the coil. If the central heating is off (i.e. in summer) then the electric heater operates - subject to timer settings.

Reply to
PJ

In article , PJ writes

The din mounted contactor is, I suppose, the 'proper' way, but if you want to save some cash and can solder, these might help you (mounted in a suitable box)

QC69A 16A single pole, adequate but skinny terminals so be careful £5.49 code QC77J 20A single pole, spade terminals but prob best soldered and pretty noisy in operation. £6.99 Both from an old catalogue but hopefully still avail.

Reply to
fred

I got a lower rated one at an electrical wholsealers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wher is the Sad Lad anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maplins do a 20 amp 230volt coil relay for 6.99 GBP, the code is QC78K

Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

In my kill-file where he belongs. Last seen talking shit in one of the car newsgroups about some sort of snake-oil that he seems to be involved with. Put it in your engine, and add an Ecotek unit and you'll have to go to a petrol station once a day and ask them to pump out the excess fuel from your tank. Or something.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

I notice my examples are discontinued too, QC94 seems to be the only option from Maplin now, 16A and requiring soldering skill onto smallish terminals

Reply to
fred

In article , fred writes

OH FFS!, that's discontinued too . . . .

Reply to
fred

Do you mean you can't get a new immersion heater, or a new thermostat? Normally, the thermostat just slides into to special tube (or 2) in the heater and is easily replaced without removing the element from the cylinder.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Problem is getting a stat to fit. I bought a new one and it won't go in as the head of the stat (switch) fouls on the connections inside the housing. Not knowing what make my existing heater is I'm knackered and like I said earlier I can't remove the heater cos I think the thread is crossed - if I remove it chances are I'll write off the cylinder!

Reply to
PJ

I seem to remember having that problem once - but found a different make of stat that did fit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, ordered, received and working well. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
PJ

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 08:17:18 +0100, "PJ" strung together this:

Good, glad to have been of assistance.

Reply to
Lurch