21 amp steam unit

hi there

I'm putting in a steam unit in the bathroom (steam bath). I can get a

13 amp or a 21 amp unit. In either case I guess I would need a seperate power feed straight to the unit and cannot take the power from the ring mains.

Can somebody confirm that ? And what AWG / square mm cable would be required ?

Cheers Larry

Reply to
larry

With those sort of current ratings require a seperate supply from the fuseboard with the correct rated cable for the job.

Reply to
Richard

Confirmed.

You won't get AWG cables easily in UK nowadays.

a single 2.5mm2 cable can carry 24A ... but it depends how you are running it, cipped direct, buried in insulation, free air etc. .. protect with MCB.

You can calculate the derating factors if you want.

However as long as the cable is not buried in insualtion and the run is not too excessive then 2.5rmm2 would be OK. If you want to be sure move up to 4mm2 ... and a 32A mcb .. but it's a bit of overkill.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

13A is a bit tight so yes, a dedicated radial is the preferred method.

I just did!

You'll be wanting a 2.5mm cable with a 16A fuse\MCB for the 13A or a

4mm cable and 25A, fuse\MCB, (or 32A depending on which rating is available for your CU), for the 21A. If you're installing it in a bathroom you'll be needing a 30mA RCD somewhere in the circuit, of at least the rating of the fuse\MCB that you use. You'll also want a double pole switch, again of at least the rating of the fuse\MCB, outside the bathroom to isolate the unit. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch