100+ psi tyre pump ...

SWMBO new wheelchair has quite narrow pneumatic tyres which should be inflated to about 100psi. The rechargeable RING tyre inflator we got from Halfords only goes to 60. I tried with a double barrel footpump, and (with my 13.5 stone) could only just get it to 95 - and that was literally bouncing up and down on the thing.

Forecourt pumps seem to stop at 60 too.

Trying to look on Amazon/eBay etc. Lots of choice, but very little about what their maximum pressure is. Lots about rate, and gauges, but not maximum.

Can anyone here recommend a make/model ?

Current thinking is to find a garage with a proper compressor that could help out, but it's hardly ideal.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Bike shop. Racing bike tyres are very narrow and I believe they're usually run at very high pressures.

Reply to
Onetap

In article , Jethro_uk writes

Any stirrup style pump for conventional bike tyres will go to 120psi, both aldi and lidl have decent ones at regular intervals or from at a bike shop from 15quid, metal body better than plastic and a change of insert should switch from schrader to presta valve. Not too much effort either as the tyres will be low volume.

Reply to
fred

Der ! And I was looking in the car section. Tx for that !

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Well, the last jump starter unit with a compressor I bought from Maplin claims 250psi. I'm not sure what the current model number is, but it should be easy enough to search the site. The cheapo compressors that plug in to the power socket on the car dash that I keep seeing on garage counters for a fiver claim the same.

Reply to
John Williamson

I use one of these. Tenner.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Wednesday 23 October 2013 13:43 Jethro_uk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You want a bike hand or stirrup pump - I needed one that went to 10 bar (145 PSI) for pipe pressure testing. Got one from Halfords with a swappable valve end - schrader, and whatever the weeny bike valve is called.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Strange - I have a 12v powered one and one as part of a jump start pack, and both go well above 100 psi. So perhaps it is your rechargeable one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or, p'raps, it's just more realistically rated than yours?

Have you actually tried it to 100psi?

Reply to
Adrian

Yup - easily do that. My pressure guage starts at 50psi (had to search out the old ones from motorcycling days to check the boiler).

Perhaps enough tools and spare tubes if a puncture occurs. Wheelchairs aren't as easy to carry as bikes - benn there, done that, bloody T-shirt still has sweat and oil stains. A decent 'micropump' will get about 60psi in - enough for emergencies.

Reply to
PeterC

Ask for a track pump, if it's a decent shop. My last girlfriend worked out that her tyres were at the correct pressure with such a pump when the downward force was enough to lift her feet off the ground - oh for a cartoonist!

Reply to
PeterC

Presta - best and easiest to use.

Reply to
PeterC

For a wheelchair, use a bike track pump, eg topeak joe blow sport. They're designed for those sorts of tyres.

Reply to
Clive George

In article , PeterC writes

Yes, that's the term I had forgotten.

Reply to
fred

No - only used it for car tyres. But by the wealth of adaptors supplied, I'd say they're both designed for any tyre, etc.

Actually wish it was only rated up to 60 psi - perhaps then the gauge would be some use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Car compressors/tyre inflators that run from the 12V power socket go up to 250psi /,

alan

Mine says 200psi and I can get the gauge up to that figure by folding the hose over, not a great deal of volume though.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Just been anounced today that part of the Tour de Fance will pass though part of Barnsley.

I see a business opportunity involving cheap DIY caltrops and an expensive mobile puncture repair service from the back of a van.....

Reply to
ARW

For something small and portable this is excellent:

Not cheap though. Goes to 160psi IIRC, and has a small fold out foot to use it like a track pump.

Asda sell a large track pump that seems surprisingly good and pretty cheap if LIDL/ALDI don't have one in this week.

A decent one will go higher than that :-)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Bike pumps easily go to 100, get one of the 'stirrup pump' style ones

Reply to
Andy Burns