100+ psi tyre pump ...

Others have suggested bike track pumps, but if you still want a powered option to reliably achieve high pressures you need something a step or two up from the Halfords etc cheap things. VIAIR are one such make, I purchased one about 10 years ago to fill up an air tank to 130 PSI to run the a set of horns from an American Locomotive on a Vivaro van. Obtained it from this place

if you want a reasonably fast one it may have to hard wired in using suitable cable as a 12volt socket may not give enough current or run hot running at its maximum for more than a minute or two.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

After I killed a rechargeable pump with the Landrover tyres (no great pressure but lots of volume so the thing would have run for quite long periods) I bought a Sealy 12 V Heavy Duty Compressor:

oductid=6960

Haven't broken it yet, it's done more hours on Land Rover tyres and is quicker than the rechargeable and push bike tyres up to 65 psi. There is a fan on one end of the motor to give some cooling to it and the compression cyclinder.

Double barrel good for shifting lots of air at moderate pressures but not good for high pressures. Think about it, with two barrels your weight is spread over two pistons. With a single piston, the same size as one of the double ones, instantly doubles the pressure but shifts less air per stroke.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yebbut - bloody hard work, even on narrowish (25mm) tyres.

Reply to
PeterC

I have a 50 year old double barrel hand pump. I can switch it to single barrel to get higher pressure. Our mains water pressure here is 110 psi but I suppose water in tyre tubes is bad. We also have 110 psi available from a steam engine, but that weighs about 20 tons so it's not very portable, unless there are railway lines.

Reply to
Matty F

Something I carry when I'm riding is one of the inflators that use a CO2 cartridge. I don't know what pressure they would generate on the wheelchair tyres, but probably enough to get you out of trouble if you get a puncture. That and a puncture repair kit would fit in a medium sized pocket.

They're a bit dear for regular use, though.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have diving cylinders filled to 4300 psi ... that would top them up quickly :-) Might be worth buying a small air compressor intended for diy ... the small 8 bar 5L versions would do you.

New they are ~ £90 .... I'm sure an eBay deal would get you one cheap

Depend if you think you have enough use for it. (car etc)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Don't be silly. All he needs is this.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I did say if he has enough use for it ..... I bought a 15L compressor and found I have tons of use for it.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Thanks to all for advice - settled for a £19.99 track pump from Halfrauds in the end. Managed to get tyres up to 100 - still a bit of effort, but easier than the foot pump.

We are now starting to understand why there was an option for solid or gel tyres when we configured the wheeclchair.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Any cyclist will tell you you've made the best choice; air filled tyres ride better. (and give better grip, but that's probably not an issue)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris