Your Most Useful Tool?

Page 2 of 2
What's wrong with Home Depot?

They wallow in mediocrity. Many local lumberyards have better quality wood at about the same price or a few pennies more. If you want premium products, you can find better elsewhere. My local dealer will match or beat any of their appliance prices and have better models available. Many of their tools are "homeowner" grade, not what a pro really needs. Most of the screws and fasteners they sell are crap compared to other brands from other sources. like www.leevalley.com or www.mcfeelys.com

I agree. HD is focused on sales. not quality. I've noticed that HD used to carry more variety and brands years ago. A box of screws I bought from HD are crap--never again will I buy fasteners made in China.
wrote in message

beat
the
other
Not disagreeing with you, but for many of us, going to a 'real' lumberyard (aka trade lumberyard) means taking time off work, since they are only open the same hours we work. In this town, the 'real' lumberyards are down to two, and neither is full-line. The ma'n'pa hardwares are mainly garden and knick-knack stores, due to competition from the national and regional big-boxes and franchise chains. As a kid in a small town in another state, pre-big-box era, the small local yards had such high prices that my father's company found it more economical to send a guy and a truck up to the state capitol, to buy direct from jobbers. I'm all for supporting the local guy, but he ain't making it easy for me.
aem sends...

So is every corporation everywhere.

In that case you won't want to buy any from McFeelys either. I just looked up their catalog: Made in China, Taiwan, Korea,... seems to be the origin of most of their screws. I haven't checked Lee Valley. Have you?

Don't stop buying because of the point of origin. China makes crap and China makes good stuff. McFeelys' specifies a higher quality than HD. At least some of Lee Valley's ware come from China also, but they are still better than HD.
On 2/11/06 11:57 PM, in article ofzHf.184$% snipped-for-privacy@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com,

They're like all the other box stores.. "we carry what the majority of people will buy.. If you want something else, go somewhere else, we've got money to make.."

Quite a lot.
There have been several other replies and I would like to add to them.
HD does not support 'the locals.' The tools they sell are not professional grade, I.a. they won't last as long as the tools they sell at dedicated tool stores. Their lumber is inferior quality (that's been said before) and much of the rest of the products are as well.
My epiphany about HD was when I called them to get a shower stall. I had the make and model of the unit, as I had seen it on display at that particular store. The drone that answered the phone said something like "I'll have to call Apex to get a price." To heck with that, I called Apex direct and got the exact same stall without the HD markup.
IMO, if that weasel Robert Nardelli, the General Electric/Jack Welch reject wasn't in charge, HD would still have stock splits every year to year and a half. He's more interested in buying other successful companies and sucking them dry. Apex wasn't much in their day, but they were good. Now they stink.
Another case in point. I purchased a 'string trimmer' from a local store. I also bought at the time several other things I needed to keep the trimmer running for a while. I finally ran out of these items and went back to the store I bought it from the purchase more. Although I regularly go into that store, I hadn't noticed the string trimmers. Because HD now sells that line of string trimmers, that local store does not sell OR service that brand.

They are not an actual laser measuring device. I had this discussion here before. The laser is merely a pointing device, and there is a clicking that actually measures. Readings can be affected by textures, objects closer than what you want to measure, and other things.
For work that doesn't require a measurement exact enough to cut, they are very helpful. My wife bought me one of the packs that have all the gadgets in it, with the leveler, and all. They work okay, but not great.
Steve
John Churchill,
They are awesome aren't they! The one I use (Disto Plus) has a built-in 2X telescopic viewer for longer distances and Bluetooth so you can transfer you measurements wirelessly to a PDA or Tablet pc with Bluetooth and sketching software. Until you try this out for yourself it is hard realize just how much time you can save while on site.
------------------- Steve B,
The Stanley TLM 100, TLM 200, TLM 300 are made by Leica for Stanley in Austria and are true laser measuring devices, as are all of the Leica Disto products. They are not ultrasonic devices with a laser pointer - yes even the $99 TLM 100 is a true laser device. Again, look at the specs at www.laserstreet.com or other sites (just search on Disto or Stanley laser meters).
For the rest out there: it does take a while to get use to measuring with one of these. But once you are use to it you will find that it will replace your tape for many situations but not all. I personally keep a tape in my truck but have not used it at all in the last 6 months. Again, I do house measurements inside and outside for appraisals, floorplans and as-built surveys for contractors and with a +- 1/16th of an inch accuracy, I have found that I couldn't live without it. I have cut my measuring time in half with it - not on the typical rambler but on complex layouts and houses in the 4,500 SF and higher category, especially the 9,500 SF house I did recently.
Mark K
Churchill wrote:

Stanley makes shoe making tools?
medium-sized crowbar, but i deal with old houses.
Churchill wrote:

Hi, My most useful tool is my brain and hands. Whatever you have, if you don't know how to use it right.... Hey voice recorder? How about PDA in your pocket?
Churchill wrote:

B&D Firestorm Cordless Hammer Drill 24V.
--
Thank you,

computer/ internet.
Filters.
So I don't have to read all the crap posted here that doesn't have to do with home repair, or even the topic.
Steve
Mark Kliewer,
Thanks for the tip about the laser measurer. I didn't even know these exist. I ran out this morning and bought a Stanley Tru-Laster from Home Depot for $99. I measured the square footage of my house, and it took me no time at all. This is an awesome tool and a great idea! Thanks again,
John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com

I replace the filters in my furnace 1 a month but I don't think of it as a tool.
-> I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me. -> So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be -> my digital voice recorder. -> -> I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing -> ("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see -> dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then -> transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice -> recorder. -> -> What's your most useful tool? -> -> John Churchill -> Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University -> Author of www.renovation101.com ->
Sledge-O-Matic.
--
;^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~