Wood vanity top?

Hi,
I know that it is common kitchen counters to be made of wood (are those called butcher block counters?), but what about vanity tops. My wife and I both dislike laminate, granite and marble.I guess that leaves us with wood. Can this be done with proper protection and what would that protection be? And where could I get the materials appropriate for that?
Many thanks in advance!
Aaron Fude
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It is pretty difficult to keep it looking good. Water has a way of getting under the finish where the sink meets the wood. I would think if you were really careful in sealing it there and diligent about not letting water collect, it would be ok. Probably at least until you wanted to remodel again
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You might want to read up on the procedures used in laying up a fiberglass covered wooden boat. The epoxy saturated fiberglass will let the natural wood show through and will prevent problems associated with water. I have built several boats with wood/fiberglass covering which were strong and quite tough and abrasion resistant.
On 1 Aug 2006 11:00:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Skip the fiberglass, and just lay on the epoxy. You don't need the tensile strength of the glass in this application. Or you could do glass, or ceramic, or stainless, or copper....
Goedjn wrote:

Thanks!
What kind of epoxy?

DAGS.