Wood floor laminates

I was at Lowe's the other day - $4 sqft for Pergo laminate. Holy crap, real wood, also at Lowe's, was less than that. Why is this stuff so expensive?

Are there any (quality) alternatives that don't cost an arm and a leg? I have asthma and I'm looking to replace the carpeting with something nice and inexpensive.

Reply to
TC

There are plenty of alternative, but you bring up the word "quality". You don't always get both.

Better laminates are more durable, have better finishes, look more like wood, etc. Some of the stores that specialize in imports and closeouts have laminates for about $1 a foot. I would not put it in my house though. It looks blah at best.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I ordered my floor from

got a great deal, even after paying the shipping/handleing, no surprizes,and would do business again with them.You might want to look at there product and prices.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

We ordered ours from

four years ago. Besides the best quality at the sale price, I got zero tax, plus no shipping. Yes, no shipping for 900 lbs laminate floor delivered to my garage. Customer services was great too. They shipped the new floor immediately when I called they for damage cartons. Pergo at Lowes/Home Depot is over priced and mid-low quality. I don't recommend that if you plan to use your own.

Reply to
jaimie

you paid shipping. it was included in the price of the flooring and not broken out, but one way or another, you paid it.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Actually that was 5 years ago. We were lucky to got both free shipping and % off on laminate floor special. Couple of my co-workers also went to ifloor and purchase the laminate floor just because this free shipping and sales. They run the free shipping sometimes.

Wilsonart and Mannington were one of the best quality on laminate floors that time. We ordered Mannington floors include underlayment and all other kits for about $3.2 sq.ft when other stores for same materials range from $3.5 and above without adding the shipping or tax.

I agree that one way or another, I paid the shipping. After the best price I paid, quality I got, and beauty of the floor. I am very satisfied.

I haven't really revisiting ifloor.com since I have my floor installed. Go shop around and get some advices. You will learn a lot from them. Good luck.

Reply to
jaimie