Wiring question

Step one of this problem broken down into parts:

1) Chart each electrical box showing each cable entering that box AND the wire colors. That is all you do the first time.

2) Show each dedicated connection either via wire nuts or using the receptacle.

3) Take the meter. Measure and record each voltage on each red and black wire (relative to the white wire) inside each box both with switch on and with switch off. For example, the label adjacent to a wire might read "123/0" for a wire with switch on and off. Or it might read "122/123" for that wire.

4) Now we are ready to start learning what connects to what. Some connections will be obvious. Notice at no time did I every advocate disconnecting anything. Disconnecting to learn only comes after we have definitely established what boxes interconnect with which cables. The unknowns on that map are learned by selective wire disconnects only after questions remain.

w_tom

Based upon your later replies the wiring configuration that you gave doesn't add up. If removing the receptacle killed power to other receptacles down the line, and if the jumper on the receptacle isn't removed, then your switch either necessarily kills the other receptacles too, or it kills no receptacles. I suspect you saw the jumper on the neutral side and only assumed that the jumper was still in place on the hot side.

Recheck the wiring configuration and the receptacle jumpers and then get back to us with the correct version.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

My family room has 4 flood light cans in the ceiling controlled by a single pole switch. That same switch also controls an outlet on the same wall as the switch. I have no idea why the electricians did what they did when the house was built (it is the original wiring I think, I've been here 9 years and the house is 15 years old). When I pulled the switch, there was a red wire to one side, and a black to the other, with the whites tied together inside the box. At the outlet, the red is on one side of the receptacle, and the whites are on the other, with the blacks tied together inside the box. Is there any way to configure the wires so the outlet stays hot and the switch only works on the overhead lights? I'm no pro, but I can handle basic wiring (changing out receptacles, switches). Is there a simple fix, or should I get an electrician to look at it?

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les

Phillip,

In the switch box: blacks pigtailed to switch, red to switch, whites tied off together.

In the outlet box: Whites (3 of them) to left side of outlet, blacks and red to right side

Sorry for the confusion.

Les

Reply to
Gina and Les

Outlet box: red is right top, and black is right bottom.

The jumpers between top and bottom outlet are still in place. If this was meant to be wired so that one receptacle is always hot, and one switched, should the jumpers be removed? If so, from both side of receptacle?

Reply to
Gina and Les

There are two cables in the switchbox. One cable is b/w/g the other is b/w/r/g. Both blacks are pigtailed to the switch. and the red is also connected to the switch

With the switch in the off position, which wire is hot? To

2 cables. one is b/w/g the other is b/w/r/g Blacks (from both cables)are tied together and pigtailed to switch terminal, and the red is connected to the other switch terminal. I am not sure where they go to or from.
3 cables come into outlet box one is b/w/r/g the other two are b/w/g. All three whites are connected to left side of outlet(two to bottom, one to top). a black wire from one of the b/w/g is connected to the top right side of the receptacle. And the red wire is connected to the right bottom side of the receptacle. The black and red that are connected to the receptacle are NOT from the same cable. The other two blacks are tied together (no pigtail). I am not sure where the wires go after they exit the box. When I removed the receptacle, I lost power to the other receptacle on the same wall. Does that tell you anything about how it is wired?

I appreciate the help. Like I said, I'm not a pro, my Dad was my go to electrical guy, but he passed away last year. He talked me through many electrical dilemmas.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
Gina and Les

Grounds are present and connected. Both receptacles are switched. If the outlet were wired for one hot, one switched, wouldn't the jumpers have to be removed (the little tabs that connect the screw terminals)? the jumpers are still there.

Reply to
Gina and Les

Yes, my house is done that way (upper switched, lower not), and it is very nice. Considering all the other things the contractor screwed up, I was surprised by it. It's not without cost!

Reply to
keith