Wiring question?

Page 2 of 2

Doesn't have to be, but it's not a bad idea.
--
Regards,
Thanks again Doug Miller wrote:

Does a plastic retro fit box that holds my light fixture need to be grounded?
Thanks
Doug Miller wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Kinda like the safety people at work who complained about an ungrounded plastic wall clock. The tech in the area replaced the cord with a three-wire cord and tied the green wire to the plastic case. The safety people were happy.
No, plastic boxes don't get grounded but the fixture itself must be.
--
Keith

The light fixture is plastic and does not have a ground wire. So what do i do with the ground wire in the box should i just tuck it away in the plastic retrofit box or add a grounding screw to the plastic box and terminate the ground wire on it.
Thanks
krw wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I've never seen anything like this, at least for outdoor use. What do the instructions on the fixture say? If everything was plastic and there wasn't any way to ground the thing, I'd twist the ground back around the cable so it couldn't get loose and contact anything hot. It would still be available if someone changed the fixture to one requiring a ground.
--
Keith