Wiring question?

Is that the only thing on that circut?

Reply to
Goedjn

According to RayV :

I suggest a combination of cold bearings (eg: bearing lubricant stiffened up) and overly long circuit (excessive voltage drop under startup surge, is this 14ga or 12ga?) is both prolonging and deepening the startup surge to the point where the breaker trips.

Upping the feed wire a size might make all the difference.

As it did with my table saw where the thing is rated at 15A, and the slightest bit of bogging down would cause the 15A breaker to trip (at the other end of almost 200' of 14ga.)

When I rewired it to reduce voltage drop, it never tripped the breaker again.`

In large motor/commercial/industrial situations, the code often permits breakers _larger_ than the wire size would suggest, but this equipment isn't really big enough to qualify.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Does a plastic retro fit box that holds my light fixture need to be grounded?

Thanks

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
david

Kinda like the safety people at work who complained about an ungrounded plastic wall clock. The tech in the area replaced the cord with a three-wire cord and tied the green wire to the plastic case. The safety people were happy.

No, plastic boxes don't get grounded but the fixture itself must be.

Reply to
krw

The light fixture is plastic and does not have a ground wire. So what do i do with the ground wire in the box should i just tuck it away in the plastic retrofit box or add a grounding screw to the plastic box and terminate the ground wire on it.

Thanks

krw wrote:

Reply to
david

I've never seen anything like this, at least for outdoor use. What do the instructions on the fixture say? If everything was plastic and there wasn't any way to ground the thing, I'd twist the ground back around the cable so it couldn't get loose and contact anything hot. It would still be available if someone changed the fixture to one requiring a ground.

Reply to
krw